DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Tamron 28-200

G

Hi folks,
I am going on a quick break and I want to take just the one lens with me. I have been offered the loan of a Tamron 28-200 f3.8 which is very compact. Has any one had any experience of this lens.

My cousin uses an earlier version of this lens (bought 1996) on her Canon Rebel (AF and MF versions do not differ optically). I cannot recommend this (and any other) ultra zoom: Dark finder, poor close focusing distance and - above all - muddy in the corners and soft in the middle. Avoid!!

Hi
even it's too late for your decesion it may be interesting some some other folks here:
The Tamron 28-200 as a manual-focus-lens is difficult to focus due to it's small focus-ring.
The optical-quality is not that bad in the center but really bad in the corners. And then : Distortion !
I had one for a big birthday-party and it produced many egg-heads (will they ever ask me for photos ?).
If you're looking for a zoom (not a CZ) it may be the Tamron 35-135 or the 28-80. These are quite good (of course no Zeiss-quality). I once compared these lenses with some Sigma, Tokina, Vivitar and even Pentax-lenses and found them really acceptable.
I'm still using them - but I prefer the Distagon 2.8/28, 50mm-Planar and 2.8/135 Sonnar.
By the way:
I compared the 28 and 135 with Leica-lenses. ZEISS is much better - you even could see it on quite small pictures !

Paul

> I have the Tamron 35 - 135 and I wouldn't recommend it. It just isn't sharp. I used to become frustrated every time I made an enlargement. The lens just sits in my closet while I use my Zeiss primes.

Lyn

A long time user of tamron lenses with different bodies since 1980, my request to know the recently introduced tamron MM adapter for contax. i have AE C/Y adapters which function aperture & in manual mode. Does MM adapter function like own CZ mm lenses i.e. Shutter/proramme priority & obviously aperture/manual mode. Any contanixan expert advice/personal experience will be welcomed.

long time user of tamron lenses with different bodies since 1980, my >request to know the recently introduced tamron MM adapter for contax. >i have AE C/Y adapters which function aperture & in manual mode. Does >MM adapter function like own CZ mm lenses i.e. Shutter/proramme >priority & obviously aperture/manual mode. Any contanixan expert >advice/personal experience will be welcomed.

its obvious! why do they produce this adapter..?.. btw: sigma has also mm-lenses made.

Hello M.shabbir gill,

I have used several Tamron lenses with a Contax 167MT. The MM adapter (box is marked MM program) has been around since the early '90's. Tamron claims it will actuate all the programs in the 167MT, and the adapter does cause the camera to appear to operate all the functions in the P,Tv, Av, and M modes. However, check in the thread with the heading, "Please explain the difference between AE and MM lenses". I posted a reply about why non MM lenses, or the Tamron MM adapter, may not give proper exposure in the P or Tv modes.

The camera body can sense 2 different positions of the MM tab. The MM tab on the Tamron adapter obviously only actuates 1 position, irregardless of the lens you have mounted.

There's no guarantee that any Tamron lens diaphragm will behave exactly like the linear diaphragm introduced on the MM lenses.

Any error, I believe, will be towards overexposure. The only answer would be to shoot some slide film which has limited latitude at all f/stops with the particular lens(es) that you are interested in using. It seems to be a lot easier to just shoot with the Av mode.

Best wishes with the Tamron adapters.

Hi Tom.C & Michael Przeworcki:

Thanks for ur expert opinion and as per Mr.Tom.C it is crystal clear the MM adapter will work with Tamron adaptall-ii lenses but in shutter priority and programme correct exposure is not ensured that was the information i requested. For good results one has to go through tests.

Hi Tom.C & Michael Przeworcki:

Thanks for ur expert opinion and as per Mr.Tom.C it is crystal clear the MM adapter will work with Tamron adaptall-ii lenses but in shutter priority and programme correct exposure is not ensured that was the information i requested. For good results one has to go through tests. Best wishes.

Back