DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

General Flash Questions for Contax G1/G2

Dont say, wish to have more weight !

I cant see any reason why you should say the camera should have more weight to reduce shake. There are still options to mount wights on the camera, when its geting too heavy you havent visitet the gym for a while dindnt you !

I like the noise of the G2 and the Tla 200 flash ist great but the battery is a bit too smal and expensive. But you cant have all you want. There migt be some recharchable Batteries out there wich fit in this flash and or G2.

I have heard many people here poopoo the TLA-200 and say it's too bright, and/or gives red-eye. Well, I just got back two rolls (my first two) from my new G2, and I find the red-eye very minimal, and I certainly don't find the flash too bright...it's damn near perfect. In fact, I am quite surprised how little red-eye there is...on 72 pictures, probably 4 that have red-eye, and two only a hint of it. I'm pretty happy with that.

http://www.darkroom.com/Images/ElenaPizza01.jpg http://www.darkroom.com/Images/ElenaPizza02.jpg

(actual 4x6 photo scanned on a cheesy flatbed...)...

No red-eye at all...and damn good exposure as well. So, I'm not sure what all the complaints were about, but my camera/TLA-200/film/processing etc. seems to work quite well.

I tried both X and AUTO, and found no difference...though I can see where AUTO would make a difference in the background in certain circumstances, so it's probably better to simply use AUTO, unless shake/movement is an issue. TLA-200 set on TTL, and no compensation, and no UV (or any) filter on the lense.

Regards,

Austin

Hi

I love my G2 AND the TLA 200 very much. They work fine together. If have to use the TLA 200 I always use a ISO 400 Film. So I can save Batterypower f or the Flash. I set the flash to 28 mm, even with 45 or 90 lens. For the TLA 200 flash I sometimes use a opal colored filmbox (Fuji) to soften the flash. I cut the bottom of the filmcanister away and make a sl ot. Then it's easy to mount it without additional help to the TLA - a good an d cheap solution. It's not my idea, I read it somewehre by www.contaxg.co

Good flash!

Hans

I now agree, the TLA200 sucks. The red eye on the last two rolls I had was the worst I've ever seen, and renders otherwise excellent pictures, horrible. Yes, I could PhotoShop them, but I don't want to, and shouldn't have to.

Why on earth they couldn't make that flash higher, and have the option of red eye reduction by pre-flash, I can't imagine...they charge enough for it...it's not like it's a cheap flash.

What other flash is there that's TTL that can be used with a G2, that is higher and/or provides pre-flash to reduce red-eye? I could use my TLA360...but that huge flash on that little camera is a bit silly. Perhaps, I should get a TLA280...

Regards,

Austin

The 280 is pretty big as well, nothing like the 360 though. I got one recently, more for SLR use but plan on trying it with the G2 as well. One good thing--the batteries are common and cheap (4xAAs).

Along with the option of using a diffuser on the 200 there's also using it with an extension cord. Both are worth a try, given that you've already got the 200.

I have no idea why they didn't have a preflash option, but then there is none for any of the other Contax flashes either. But the T3 does it!

--Rick

I get very nice results using a Sunpak 444D coupled with the = Contax/Yashica interface module. I believe you can put together the pair = for about $135 at B&H, slightly less if you can catch one of the modules = for sale used as I did. My only complaint with the 444D is the rather = lengthy recharge cycle of about 10 seconds after a full power flash.

Dave Allen

I have a 360, and though I'm sure it will work well, it is huge on the G1/G2...and very awkward...I feel like the hotshoe is going to break off! And, most of the TLA360 functions are useless on the G series...there is no ISO/ aperture/distance coupling to the flash, the G only supports flash ready and TTL...

So, if they do make a G3, I hope they put in better flash integration as well as come up with a better flash, one that reduces red eye in a reasonable size package, commensurate with the G.

Regards,

Austin

> I have no idea why they didn't have a preflash option, but then there > is none for any of the other Contax flashes either. But the T3 does > it!

My TVS (NOT the later TVS II or even the later TVS III) has red eye reduction in it...cripes.

Regards,

Austin

Hmmm, Austin have you tried using a home made diffuser out of a fuji film canister? I recently took candids at a friends wedding reception and none showed red eye with the use of the diffuser. Also another option if you want small is to use the TLA 140 from the G1 - it sits much higher, the drawback is the lack of manual zoom in the head - it is much smaller and lighter but with respectively small output. But it is great for close-ups.
happy.gif

Austin,

Your post just confirms what I have been saying on the forum for some time - the TLA200 is one of the worst pieces of kit Contax have ever brought out. Not only does it suffer badly from red-eye but the TTL link does not seem to be up to much and over-exposes on anything nearer than about 6-8 feet. With the feeble output, that leaves a pretty narrow window within which it almost works OK. I was delighted to pass mine on to a new user through E-bay. I went back to using my ancient Hanimex TZi-34 with C/Y TTL module but after twenty years, its condenser is now on its last legs. I am now waiting for a S/H Metz 32 Z-2 which I bought off E-bay for not a lot of money, particularly as I can take the SCA3802 C/Y module off my enormous Metz 45CL-4 to give me full TTL control, second curtain, flash output control etc, plus it has bounce, tilt, pan and zoom. It will be a bit bigger than the TLA200 but as that will raise the axis of the flash head away from the lens, that should not be bad. I have yet to see an adverse report on it. One thing I am trying and it does seem to work, is to ask people to look at my shoulder rather than the camera = no red-eye. You do feel a bit stupid/pretentious saying it though. Wilson

Back