DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G2 Polarizers

G

I'm confused (as usual) about which kind of polarizer to get for my G2. I would be using it with the 45mm and 28 mm lenses. Circular or linear, and If circular, how do you know how to set it (what level of polarizing).
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Jeff

No need for a circular polarizer with the G, a linear will do. Be sure to get one with an alignment mark so you can transfer the setting to the filter when it's mounted on the camera (it almost seems as though it would be a good idea to carry two: one mounted on the camera and one handheld to use for previewing).

--Rick

I recognize that the circular polarizer costs more than the linear but is there any differences in quality or use on G1 or G2. Thanks.
Harbert

Heliopan makes a linear Polarizer with markings 1-10. I use it on my Voightlander Bessa R2. I love it! Number 5 gives me the most dramatic Polarizing effect on the sky. Plus its great (Shott) glass same as Zeiss right! Kevin

Kevin,
Where did you get your Heliopan? Also, don't you have to turn the polarizer based upon the angle of the light at the time of the picture and not just #5 on the polarizer or is that only with circular polarizers? Thanks.
Harbert

Harbert,
There should be no difference in quality between a linear polarizer or circular polarizer assuming of course they are of equal quality. All polarizers need to be rotated to acheive the desired effect. The need for a circular polarizer arises when using a polarizer with an autofocus slr. Linear polarizers can interfer with your autofocus when used with those systems. The G2(1) is an autofocus rangefinder and as such the filter you put on front of your lens has no effect with the focusing mehanism which takes place via the little windows on your camera, not through the lens. So spending a premium for a circular polarizer for a G2 is a waste of money. The amount of effect you see when rotating polarizers will vary quite a bit during the day as the angle of the sun changes. Jeff, when I use a polarizer I generally want the most dramatic effect I can get from it. That means darker sky and more saturated colors. This makes it easy to use since this configuration corresponds to the filter's highest filter factor. So I just set my desired aperature and rotate the filter while watching my shutter speeds change. The position which gives me the longest shutter speed for that aperature is the setting I want for the filter.

> Harbert I got my Heliopan from B&H (39mm was $31.95usd) When I say I use #5 for sky I mean when my damera is level and I'm getting part sky with the sun mostly behind. Of course for a surface at a different angle you would need to remove and view with your eye then note the number that is top center. Also this helps if you decide you want to turn your camera vertical from Horizontal you just need to twist until this # is top center again. Kevin

> Harbert Paul is right! I always forget to use this little filter factor trick--Though my Bessa does not show third stops so this may be difficult for me.

Paul Thanks for the reminder! Kevin

Paul..
Thanks once again for the great response. I picked up a cheap circular polarizer yesterday, just to give it a try..and did exactly what you recommended. I don't have the pictures back yet, but thought I'd give it a try.

I found a new 28mm Biogon for $280, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

Jeff

Paul,
Thanks for the excellent summary on polarizers. I am getting back to my roots with Contax G2 systems after years with Minolta systems. I had used a circular polarizer with Minolta but had never used the linear one. I read this forum almost every day and learn new things and re-learn things I should have remembered but didn't. Thanks to all.
Harbert

Back