DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G2 Polarizers

>I've been considering getting a polarizer for a long time, but I've been debating if I should get it for the G2 or on my slr. Which is easier to use? Thanks.

Ming,
A polarizing filter is much easier or more user friendly with an SLR due to the fact you are seeing the image directly through the lens and filter. Also the finder provides a nice dark environment with little stray light where you can see subtle changes as you rotate the filter. If you simply hold a polarizer to your eye and turn it you will not experience the full range of the filter due to the ambient stray light.

The only time there might be problem using a polariser with an SLR is when, as I recently discovered, you try to use it while wearing polarised sunglasses. Mine have prescription lenses so they normally help me to see! In this case the polarised glasses interacted with the polarising filter and caused the viewfinder to go black and virtually impossible to use - solution, take off the glasses!
John

>Paul, Thanks for the quick reply. Although it is much easier to use the polarizer with a slr, is the results with the G2 worth the extra effort?

Ming Ting, and all,
There have been many tips regarding the use of a polarizer on the G2-all of which work well. Why not get one polarizer and use it on both the G2 and your slr lenses. Most of my CZ lenses use the 55mm filter so it is a simple matter to purchase a 55mm polarizer for the (most) CZ lenses for slr AND also purchase a 46mm to 55mm step up ring to use the same filter on the G lenses.

I think getting the step-up ring is a great idea. B+W makes a high = quality 46/55 step-up ring. Many others are junk.

>Hi Ron, Most of my slr lenses are 62mm and up. It would take several step up rings to go from the 46mm. This would probably interfere with the 28mm lense wouldn't it?

Ming,
I would say there is a chance that the larger filters might cause focusing problems. If you are near a dealer, perhaps you could take the G camera with 28mm. First focus on many different objects and record the indicated (in the status window) focus distance. Now screw on a step up ring, say, a 46mm to 62mm and focus on the same objects and compare the indicated focus distance to the previous test. If the distances do not agree, then there is a problem. If the distances do agree, then proceed up to your next larger filter size with step up ring and repeat process. If you try this, would you let us all know how it works? I am many miles from any dealer out here in the desert of New Mexico.

Wouldn't a 67mm step-up ring take a big bite out of the viewfinder window? Also, given that few polarizing filters are coated, the need for a lens hood becomes even more important. I'd stick with a 46mm and place the lens hood on top.

--Rick

>Niki,

Hey there, are you trying to send a msg? I don't think you are doing it correctly? How's it going?

Back