DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss G lenses vs Zeiss SLR lenses

K

kbrocas

Is there a quality difference between the various ranges of Contact lenses? I am thinking about replacing my trusty Minolta 700si with a Contax G2, an NX or N1.

How do the Contax lenses compare between G and N1 / NZ lens line up?

Hi Kirk,

usually the G lenses are seen as the best as 35mm can get, but I do not think that at CZ level this should be the decision maker.

Think more about the different character of the systems:
SLR is more versatile and technically top notch, RF is smaller and less obtrusive. Macro or telephoto work is impossible with RF.

Till

Thanks Till!

Ideally I want optimum picture quality, however I think I am favouring SLR at present for "what U see is what you get" over anything else. I have not used a RF before and am concerned about focus accuracy and parallex.

I am looking at putting together a kit along the lines of:

Contax NX Body
Contax N 28-80mm Vario Sonnar
2846.5 NZD

OR

Canon EOS 33 Body
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
Canon EF 100mm f2 USM
Canon EF 24mm f2.8
3775.01 NZD

OR

Contax G2 Body
Contax G 45mm f2 Planar
Contax G 90mm f2.8 Sonnar

3366 NZD

NZD = New Zealand Dollars

Trying to keep the price on the low side of 3000 NZD

I believe that the N series zooms are more than a match for the SLR primes. (?)

How do the Canon prime lenses stack up against the Contax N series zooms and Contax Manual lenses?

Thanks
Kirk

Kirk

I have a 100 mm 2.8 macro from canon. Together with the 300 4.oL it is the best lenses price/permonce wise i have had from canon. I did have i 24 mm but sold it and got a 20-35 mm - but im not to cracy about zoom lenses.

> [.Kirk,

I notice you mention NZ dollars. I gather your in New Zealand. The other day I noticed Kirk's Photographics on Lambton Quay in Wellington has a G1 with 2 lenses--I think the 45mm and the 28mm for 1900 NZD. You might want to start there if you opt for RF. I have a G1 and like it but I have never tried the G2.

I also have no connection with Kirk's Photographics--I was just passing.

Cheers,

Barry

Wellington]

Hi, Kirk
In the RF vs SLR issue, I would say that if you want to stay within that focal length range, either Contax system will perform admirably. Obviously, the SLR offers more versatility (possibility of macro, long teles, faster lenses...).

I don't have experience with Canon, but they seem to be more technologically advanced than Contax, the transition to digital will be easier and some of their lenses are said to be as good as Zeiss. Choosing Contax seems more an emotional decision than a rational one (but see who is talking...)

I own NX and G2 (I have said in other thread that I wish I had spent the extra US$ 300 last year and bought the N1 instead of the NX, but that is a different story). If I had to choose only one I would take the NX, mainly because I prefer long lenses. The G2 does feel more solid and a better camera (definitely a luxury item), and the lenses are amazing. But it is, by definition, more limited than an SLR. Of course, this may not be an issue at all depending of what style of photography you like. If portability is most important, go with the G2. If you do not want to change lenses frequently, you don't like viewfinders with little information that do not show what really is in focus and/or you think you may ever want a lens longer than 90, go with the SLR.
Good luck!

Juan

One thing that nobody has mentioned yet is the matter of retrofocus wideangle lens designs. These are necessary with an SLR, because they allow sufficient room for the mirror box between the rear element and the film plane.

In rangefinder cameras the rear element can extend as far back as necessary, and this extra degree of design freedom allows can result in sharper wideangle lenses. Therefore, all other things being equal, I would expect the wides for the G-series to outdo their C/Y mount counterparts, in the same way that Leica M-mount items are held in higher regard than their R-series brethren.

Kirk,

I have a Canon DSLR and Contax (C/Y) SLRs, with primes only. Both systems have primes of uniformly good optical performance, if not value.

Choose Contax C/Y for manual focus, distinctly superior mechanical build, beautiful optical character, and decent prices through the 28-135mm range. Choose Canon for AF, lower cost, world-class telephoto.

Your EF choice looks good. The equivalent Contax kit would be based on issues of cost, weight, optical excellence and lens availability: a couple are (35/2.8, 85/2.8) and (28/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2).

http://www.patternassociates.com/rico/d30/misc/eos-contax-50-14.jpg

Kirk,

This is a tough decision. I have always been a fan of the rangefinder camera, but I realize the limitations, no macro or long lenses. That is why I also use SLRs as well. Pick the system that suits your imediate needs and get the other one later. I just picked up my G2 earlier htis year and am now looking at my next SLR. I probably will go Canon for the reasons Rico mentioned. Canon is far ahead of others in SLR technology and have some fantastic lenses.

Jim

My viewfinder on my G2 is cloudy. Is this normal or do I need to send it in for cleaning? The viewfinder that goes to the 21mm lens is bright in comparison. >

Back