CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

BW or Color Landscape - Oh the choices

Robert.4507

Hello everyone,

Want to do a BW landscape and to also try to run text with the photos. Then,,, then there was indecision,,,,,which version is more appealing? I propose to leave it open for opinion.....

This is the BW version,and it has strong points.
SDIM0437_BW.jpg

The color blue is nice contrast with the golden yellow. This one also seems to show the depth behind the two predominant trees as a distant haze.
SDIM0437_1.jpg

I value all CC,

Sincerely,

Robert

p.s.
Thank you to Klaus for posting the "how-to" to flow text around the photos.

Guest .

Banned
Hi Robert,

I like the colours! :) I always do ... though I used to do a lot of BW photos. conventional BW-photos used to be much cheaper than colours.

With my SIGMAs I go for their increadible colours .... in most cases.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Robert.4507

Thank you Klaus,

The BW seems to have interesting line, and the geometry formed by the intersection and angles are countered by the randomness of the trees silhouette. But on the other hand, the blue is so pretty in the color photo.

good luck with your pictures,

Robert

Steaphany

Both are nice images

B&W is how I started with analog photography and I still appreciate the feel that it brings to a photo. I recently purchased
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
to have traditional looking B&W control available with my Sigma photos.

Robert.4507

Steaphany,

Thank you for sharing that software link. I was surprised at the price of the package. I am going to be interested in giving the demo a run, a some point when I return from vacation.

BW is my first experience with 35mm and doing my own developing. It was back in my early teenage years, in the early 70's. (giving a vague hint as to my age) :)

Likewise, I will be interested to seeing some of the photos that you produce with your SD14 and this software package.

Good luck with your pictures,

Robert

Steaphany

Hmmm, We're roughly the same age. :)

I agree, the price that Nik Software lists on their web site is a bit steep, but I shopped around and found that B&H Photo sells it at a very much lower price plus B&H has reviews submitted by customers:

Before even running the demo, I was impressed by the online videos on the Nik Software site:

This is my first image processed through Silver Efex Pro. I shot this photo of my Horse Ashlene last year shortly after getting my SD14:

SDIM0051s2.jpg

I wanted to see what sort of antique look Silver Efex could achieve. I know it comes with a nice assortment of single click styles, but I tried my hand at choosing the effects manually. I felt that a deep sepia, with a strong film grain, and with a white vignette would nicely antique this photo:

SDIM0051BW2.jpg

Guest .

Banned
Hi All,

Nice Software! :)

What about having an antique photo of myself?!

Since I often feel like a fossil .... :D

Steaphany, would you kindly "olden" me (in photographic terms of course!!:D)

Klausi1.jpg

Now I am very much looking forward going antique! :D

See you with interesting pictures

Klaus

P.S. What do the others think??! .... Can I then compete with the horse???

Robert.4507

Steaphany,

The BH price is more competive. However, after viewing the BW antiqued horse, this software has certainly spiked a yearning to learn more about it.

I want to say "congrats" on the photo conversion. IMO it has come out very appealing, is very well done and is not overdone.

Good luck with your pictures,

Robert

Steaphany

Klaus,

Since your image was only 200x300, I first had to load it into Qimage to bring the resolution up to 533x800. Silver Efex Pro could easily work with the original resolution, but the antique grain caused a loss in detail. I then opened the 533x800 image in Photoshop, Called up the Silver Efex Pro filter, and this is the result:

{Q}Klausi1_BW.jpg

Steaphany

Keep in mind that the output from Silver Efex Pro is still technically a "color" image. Once saved as a flattened JPG, the antiqued 533x800 image was 137K larger than the enlarged Qimage JPG file.

My reason for not going any larger than 533x800 was to stay below the forum's 400K image size limit.

Robert.4507

Steaphany,

Thank you for the link, it is a very compelling presentation.

The bw conversion of Klaus looks epic!!

Robert

toisondor

Back to the original question, BOTH photos are striking. To my eyes, the BW photo is more about the tree. The color photo is more about the broad patches of complimentary colors.

Meanwhile, I've been using Nik's Viveza software for some retouching. The control point technology is fascinating and allows for some fast and exciting corrections.

Jesse

OyvindS

B&W or Color?

Hi Robert

It is hard to decide afterwards.
To me the approach to B&W and Color photography is fundamentally different.

If I want to do B&W I go out with that in mind. I try to observe the motive as I imagine it will look in B&W. I try to figure out what shades of grey the various colors will make out, and how they fit together. How the light and dark parts of the picture play together and how I can create repetition in shape. With digital, doing B&W, I will then refrain form looking at the preview (from a fear of "resetting" the brain).
Keeping the door open for both possibilities is a limitation. IMHO
I only convert if a client absolutely want it.

knd regards
Øyvind Strøm

Robert.4507

Thank you Jesse, at composure time the intent was for a BW exposure. The detail of the two large trees contrasting with the small white cloud, dominating the contour lines of the landscape seemed like a fine subject. When I posted my group of landscape BW's, all of the BW versions were most appealing over their respective color counter parts. However, these two photos left me indecisive. So I was curious as to what preference, if any, other people would have. We both seem to like each version equally. This photo was processed exclusively in SPP.

Recently, after the raw conversion in SPP, I have started using Bibblelabs and Andy plug in by Sean Pucket for the BW's.

I will be starting a new thread in the BW section.

Robert

Robert.4507

Hi Øyvind,

Thank you for your opinion, I approach BW similarly, with the intent to look for striking textures, patterns, shapes or repetitions that will inspire when transformed. With this photo, it seemed like both versions had an equal number of strong points. Which to say the least, is just short of rare.

Contrastingly to your method, I am not able to see colors as different shades of gray, however, I tend to see textures as shapes of different shades of gray. Therefore, the next time I am out to shoot BW, it is my intent to try to see colors and forecast into shades of gray, that just might be the inspiration to something different.

I am going to start a new thread in the BW section.

Once again, thanks to all for sharing your opinions!! :)

Robert

Guest .

Banned
Klaus,

Since your image was only 200x300, I first had to load it into Qimage to bring the resolution up to 533x800. Silver Efex Pro could easily work with the original resolution, but the antique grain caused a loss in detail. I then opened the 533x800 image in Photoshop, Called up the Silver Efex Pro filter, and this is the result:

View attachment 1454

Perfect work! :)

Sorry for the late answer (due to holidays). But ..... better late than never! :D

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

lkgroup

I shoot all my pictures in RAW and then I can work in color or BW. I have a Rangefinder background of shooting BW so I quite often will print a majority of my exposures in BW.

Leo