DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Questions on Carl Zeiss 24-85 and Zeiss 70-300 lenses

gunteach

Hey group,

Could I please get some input on two CZ lenses, the first being the CZ 24-85 VS and the second being the CZ 70-300 VS? I'm buying some CZ manual focus lenses while I have some discretionary cash (which won't last long I'm afraid) to have some good CZ lenses for general use on several bodies. I'm thinking these lenses will just get more expensive in the future.

So far I have a 28/2.8 Distagon, 50/1.4 Planar and 50/1.7 Planar, the 85/2.8 Sonnar, the 135/2.8 Sonnar, and the 80-200/4 VS. I've heard good things about the 24-85 zoom and it sounds like it could be a good "leave-on" lens for one of my bodies. It would also give me a little wider lens than my current low end focal length.

I really don't know anything about the 70-300 yet, and I know it duplicates much of the 80-200 unit's range I already have. I figured this would be the place to ask.

Opinions please about these two lenses?

Thanks!

I believe that both of these lenses are 'N' mount autofocus lenses and therefore not the same mount as the C/Y manual focus lenses you have. I understand from reviews and user opinions that they are both excellent lenses, just not able to fit a C/Y mount body.

Hi Tom,
I think that the two lenses you mention are for N series cameras whereas the lenses you already have are C/Y lenses i.e the earlier non-autofocus (except with the AX body) series lenses.
I don't know anything about the two lenses except that I have read good things in this forum about the 24-85 but thought I should check that you have an N body.

Thanks guys. I went back and read the item description more carefully and it merely says "for Contax SLR". I believe I have made an unwarranted assumption, and checking the photos carefully, they do look different than any lenses I have.

They sound like they would be good, I'd just need an N body to use them! Thanks once again, the forum just saved me from making a costly mistake.
happy.gif

Tom

These are definitely N lenses. I know, I have both with my ND. How I wish I could use them on my 1Ds2, but alas, I can't
sad.gif

Back