DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss PCDistagon

skeeton

Hi,
Does anyone know of a source of information on how to use this lens. I recently acquired one at a modest cost and want to explore architectural photography (I live in London and there is an abundance of material). There are a few areas I'm unsure about and any pointers would be v.much appreciated.
1. In the Zeiss pdf it says "TTL Metering in Stopped Down Position". The pdf for the 100mm/2.8 macro says "TTL Metering at full aperture OR in stopped down position". Does this mean I cant use TTL on the PC-D at full aperture?

2. The reading in the view finder always displays 2.8 even at different apertures. This is the case when the lens is mounted on an Aria or RTSIII. Why is this and is it related to point 1.

3. Also on the PC-D pdf it states "the exact shutter speed must be set while the lens is in its normal (ie non-shifted) position." Does this imply I should not be using aperture priority but fully manual mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stuart,
you have indeed to manually stop down the lens, if you want to use AE (there is no AV- or P-mode possible, as there is no mechanical connection that allows the camera to move the aperture blades of the lens). The other way would be to do the metering with open aperture and then to calculate the appropriate combination and set it manually, as you would do with an external exposure meter.
If you want to take pictures with the lens in a shift position, you have to stop down to f8 or f11 for the extreme position. This is because then you are mainly using the optically critical outer parts of the image field. Also, if the lens is shifted, the internal exposure meter of the camera does not work properly because of the shift in the system's optical axis. So be shure to check exposure first, use AE-lock or dial it in manually, and then shift the lens.
It takes a little bit of practice, but you will end up with great pictures!
Good luck,
Marc

Sorry,
of course I meant "there is no Tv- or P-mode possible", as the only way to get auto-exposure with this combination is aperture-priority (Av).
Marc

And, Stuart, of course you can use the lens with TTL-metering (if it's not shifted) at f 2,8. But if you want to make use of it's shift capacity I would strongly recommend to step down.
And, BTW, the missing mechanical connection is also the reason why the camera's viewfinder cannot display the real aperture if it's stepped down.
Hope that helps,
Marc

Marc, thank you very much for that advice. It is a great help. I'm quite excited about using the lens and your advice will certainly save me alot of duff exposures.

Stuart

How is this lens opitcally? Is this lens worth the money contax is asking for?
How do you rate it. I viewed the MTF but I like to get some personal data.

Thanks,

salim

Several years ago, when the dollar was strong, I purchased a Schneider 28mm PC with a Contax mount from Fotohobby in Frankfurt installed at the factory. This is the real deal, not some Mickey-mouse adapter add-on. It is the same lens sold for the Leica R system and a superb lens. Check it out on Photodo. I paid much less than I would have for the Zeiss. I am about to trade it for some digital stuff, but would be interested in selling it at a reasonable price. I would need to hear from you soon.

stan,
Thanks for your offer. The lens looks great, the only reason I asked about the pc was because I was getting a good offer on it. I actually want to use it on my canon digital system.

Now having said that, let me know if you have a 21/2.8, that I would want.

Thanks,

sailm

No, I don't have a 21mm for the SLR, just for G. By the way, you can convert the Schneider PA Curtagon to other mounts.

Stan,
thanks for your message. I got the 35/2.8 PC from BH. They were selling their demo unit for 1199. When they had it in stock, the sold the new one for about 2600. I figured the discount is not that bad and I should take a chance with this lens.

Back