DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Experience with the MP

I had my M6 CLA'd by Don Goldberg a few months ago and also had him install the condenser in the RF to eliminate the flare. I also switched out for the solid metal wind lever. The M6 came back smoother than it ever was. The RF is now flare-free and as good as on the MP. But the shutter release is still not as smooth as on the MP. The M6 still feels a little notchy, which is only a problem when shooting at slower speeds as I don't feel I can release the camera as smoothly as on my MP or M4.

The one area where Leica really bungled the MP is in the eyepiece. There is a gap big enough to slip a piece of paper under so you can see it behind the eyepiece. Dust gets sucked into here. Leica can supposedly seal this area. For all the attention they paid to other parts of the camera in improving it this is a glaring omission.

Dear Jim,

I have read this elsewhere (photo.net ??) and have looked on mine and do no= t find this gap in the eyepiece.

Is it possibly an occurance on the earlier models only? Mine is number 2940= xxx.

Will look again as dust in the eyepiece would pi$$ me off as well...

Dear Jim,

One other thought. I cannot imagine that this would be overlooked. Although= not an expert, is it possible that teh\he gap was left due to a possible = vacuum effect in the rangefinder system as everything else is so well seale= d it hindered (quick) movement of the system within.

Like trying to blow through a straw pinched at the end? Do you understand w= hat I am saying?

Maybe not of course, just a thought. Am by no means an authority or expert = here...

Ummmm.... No.

"ossible =3D vacuum effect in the rangefinder system"

80963.jpg

Try this with your MP...

Ok, so I was reaching there....;-)

Although I certainly do not see Leica as doing no wrong, I cannot convince = myself that it would be purposely left there or overlooked. Rangefinder dus= t is a very serious annoyance/issue and one that is rather obvious.

but what do I know...I havent the problem.

Perhaps those with the problem should call or mail them to inquire. Save ti= me and stupid rumours/theories from circulating. (Yes, like mine;-)

ciao. U

wow..now that is something Jim.

Mine is one solid molded piece, of course broadening to the outer flange your eye rests upon, however, mine is indeed one solid piece firm against the body.

H@ll, perhaps it is a flaw. I should not comment further as I do not have the problem.

I would make the effort to call and contact someone within Leica on that. It is apparently not an isolated incident.

I would very much like to know their position on it. If you do, please post it here. Perhaps I will try myself, but again I havent the problem and would appear foolish.

It still does not make sense that it would be built in this way. Leicas are notoriously very well sealed units and that this is the only model this has ever occurred on gives one pause. This is a rather obvious flaw!

um, good luck with that...<grin>

ciao.
U

PS: Yes I have tried it. Picking, pulling, flashlight, etc. Mine IS (so it appears) one solid piece...
FWIW

Jim's picture is rather alarming. It makes me wonder how the eyepiece stays on the camera - what holds it on? I have tried it with mine and it doesn't work.

Louis

Back