CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Cable release length

L

ltsdnce

I noticed that the Aria cable release comes in three lengths. I was going to buy the shortest one. What is the reason for the longer lengths?

colin

So you can be greater distances from the camera
It maybe dangerous to be too close
I have a 30' release that is useful when taking pictues of children.(you don't need to be behind the camera!)
Colin

L

ltsdnce

I would like to hear from people who have the various cable release lengths and their reasons for choosing that length. I can see where a really long length would be useful for animal shots or, as Colin noted, for children, but I'm not sure I see the point of the 100cm length.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Susan

jsk3

Susan, the one metre cable release can be useful for reducing the risk of shaking the camera, when using a long exposure time, while still retaining the ability to coose the right moment for the exposure.

Contax cable releases are expensive, but can frequently be found on eBay. Any good electronic components supplier should be able to provide the necessary wire, plugs, sockets and soldering equipment to enable a Contax cable release to be adapted to any practical length very cheaply.

I prefer the old style of Contax switch, particularly for wildlife photography. I find that it's easier to operate with gloves and/or cold fingers.

Regards
John

nickser

Hi Susan,

I would definately go for the longer version, even if it is a few dollars more. You can make a long one into a short on but you can't make a short one into a long one.

Paul

tbc

Hi Susan, The older type release cables are only for the old RTS. Looks like a PC connector. The newer ones are marked L-30,or whatever length they are. They are not interchangeable. A short one is most convenient to carry, the long one is clumsy if you are just avoiding vibration. If you want the long one for other reasons, then that's the one to get.

bobbl46

But don't forget that there are small converter leads that change the screw fit to push fit, and vice-versa. If you have for ex&le an FR-1 (or RTS I) and an RTS II, only one cable release is needed if you have the conterter.

Finding one is a different matter
It might be easier to buy one of each!

Also there are two types of switches. One is short and stubby, the other long and thin. It is only a matter of personal preference, as both types function identically.

See here for more info and photos:
Contax User Forum » Contax SLR C/Y-mount » Yashica Lenses with C/Y mount » Yashica3.5-5.6/28-210

Cheers, Bob.

O

ou1954

Posted by Tom C (Tbc) on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 11:36 am:

Hi Susan, The older type release cables are only for the old RTS. Looks like a PC connector. The newer ones are marked L-30,or whatever length they are. They are not interchangeable. A short one is most convenient to carry, the long one is clumsy if you are just avoiding vibration. If you want the long one for other reasons, then that's the one to get.

==========

Since I'm not really up to date, maybe someone can clarify this issue for me. I have an original RTS Demo with winder and accessories which I plan to sell and replace, probably with an Aria.

Can I keep my remote release cable and use it on the Aria? I know the lenses will work, but am now confused about the remote cable.

DAW

bobbl46

Don, there is an accessory that is the opposite way round from the R6SJ (the R6SJ converts screw to become a push fit). I don't know the number of it ... but it is rare as hen's teeth! It may not even be a true "Contax" item. I've only ever seen 1 !

Given the cost of a "used" screw fit release is very modest, it may not be a good use of time to track down this elusive item! Just go for a used "S" or "L" (each are available in screw fit).

Cheers, Bob.

tbc

The adapter to allow you to use the newer screw-type cable switch with the older RTS is a Contax item. It used to be available from Contax USA. Your older remote release (push on that looks like a PC cord) is not usable on the Aria. Hope this helps.

D

donger

i have a very short cable release for my RTS II. the cable only measures 25cm. but it is easy to carry and extremely useful. i shoot on a tripod with the mirror locked up at modestly long shutter speeds. (1sec~10sec) not too long. and it keeps my clumsy fingers from shaking the camera. the prints are razor sharp. i purchased my release on ebay for a low price.