DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G vs Leica M lenses

Well. This continues along its ugly, nonsensical path.

Douglas, not to insult you, but i hope you don't really believe you can assess 'sharpness' from viewing small, low-res web images. True "proof" could only come from examining the negs/chromes with the appropriate loupe, or from photographic process prints. And, at that, you'd have to compare the same shot made with each lens, under the same conditions. Preferably, on the same roll of film, if you want to go so far....

All this is to say nothing about the fact that different people apply varying amounts of Unsharp Masking when preparing images for the web, from scans. I can easily make a disposable camera image 'appear' to be sharper than something from my Hasselblad, Contax, or Leica.

Luis,
I'm having trouble getting your links to work. But, as i said before, i have liked your stuff for quite a while. I was, in fact, disappointed to not find among your Leica Forum top Ten the image of your father, and the image of the man sitting at the bar.... Why don't you have a website? :)

A Leica, like a Rolex costs an inordinate amount of money and most people who own them wear them as a status symbol and not out of admiration for the mechanical perfection it represents. This is true also with MOST Leicas and Leica users today who wear their cameras like jewelry and coddle them like lap dogs rather than using them as the full breeds they were meant to be. The time Austin has spent proclaiming superiority over Contax and Zeiss could have been better used in a constructive way such as writing on a Leica Forum or actually using his jewelry for taking pictures in the field. -Lytton

Like Derek I also really like images I've seen that belong to Luis. I think the forum added characters to those links that makes them not usable. I have a link in my favorites that shows more of his work. (He originally posted it in this forum somewhere) The images were made with a variety of great lenses and great cameras.

Luis - hope you don't mind I post this link again on your behalf. If others of you, like me, you do not speak Spanish, simply click each image to go to the next. Best, -Lynn Expo of images made by Luis http://whuyss.tripod.com/expo/index.html

I hope to speak for the majority of users of this forum: please stop this useless discussion. We get so many mails, that it gets a pain in the neck. Should this go on, then many of us will have to consider leaving this site, which would be a shame, because it was very good up to now. Please refrain from comparing Leitz and Contax and I don't know what else.

Thank you all ! Peter

Hi Austin,

Hope now it will work
happy.gif

http://whuyss.tripod.com/rangefinder/

>>>I was, in fact, disappointed to not find among your Leica Forum top Ten the image of your father, and the image of the man sitting at the bar....

Nice surprise!. I always feel very well when a good photographer knows my work!. Yes, I like very much the picture of my father, but every person consulted chooses a different set for my "10 best". It's very interesting to see how different "eyes" not only see different scenes from behind the camera, but also how they interpret pictures.

>>> Why don't you have a website? :)

The problem is I have several
happy.gif
, but not related to photography. A bit off topic, but here is one: The Unofficial Zeiss Telementor Web site:

http://whuyss.tripod.com/zeiss/

The Telementor is a nice small telescope. Please, click on Observations and then on "Moon" for some pictures taken through a Zeiss refractor and click on the thumbnails. I think it's time to start thinkking on a Photography personal page
happy.gif

Cheers, Luis Argüelles

Hi Lynn,

>>> Lynn Expo of images made by Luis > http://whuyss.tripod.com/expo/index.html

Thanks very much for the link. I had forgotten it!
happy.gif
. In any case, all the pictures there are taken with old, classic cameras except one, taken with the G1.

As you know (and this is explained in the Spanish text in the link), my father gifted me a second-hand Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex camera when I was 14. Thirty years later I'm still taking B&W pictures. The Expo (real one, put in a small gallery last July) was a homage to my father. I know he liked it
happy.gif

Cheers, Luis

Hola Luis
Que buenas fotos!
I love the way that you used old equipment to take pix of contemporary subjects, thats the beauty of black and white, the results are timeless.
Its sure making me want to the next job on the G2 and good old Tri-X as opposed to digital that we all have to use these days in order to make a living.
Tell me how did you manage to get such good scans from the negs. Every time I try to scan a B&W neg the results are a bit flat and grainy even though I scan at RGB.
Saludos.
paul
http://www.britishpressphoto.org/paulmattsson/

Hi Paul,

> Every time I try to scan a B&W neg the results are a bit flat and > grainy even though I scan at RGB.

Unless you have a Leafscan (which is the scanner I use, and why I use it is it scans B&W AS grayscale, not as RGB, and IMO gives better tonality and sharpness), your scan is done in RGB no matter what data you ask for out of the scanner. When you ask for B&W, it scans in RGB (as that's all it can scan in), and simply converts the data internal to the scanner using, typically, some canned mixture of RGB to give you the grayscale data.

Regards,

Austin

Lynn:

Thanks for bringing the Contaflex thread to this. It was nice to see Luis's photographs again.

Luis:

Thanks for sharing the information on the Zeiss telescope and your photographs.

Regards:

Gilbert

<<The time Austin has spent proclaiming superiority over Contax and Zeiss could have been better used in a constructive way such as writing on a Leica Forum or actually using his jewelry for taking pictures in the field. -Lytton >>

Quite right, Lytton. Austin seems to have transferred his boyhood comparison envies to his new obsession on this thread..comparing the wonderful G2 with his Leicas. He needs to get out of the locker room and get on with life. This is a place for G2 thoughts, opinions and comments about the wonderful Contax G cameras.

Back