DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G vs Leica M lenses

Hi Paul,

>>> Que buenas fotos! Muchas gracias
happy.gif

>>> > I love the way that you used old equipment to take pix of contemporary > subjects, thats the beauty of black and white, the results are > timeless. >>>

Using relatively old, classic cameras is a true pleasure for me. The ones I love are the Leica M2 and IIIf, Zeiss Contaflex, Voigtländer Bessamatic, and a 6x6 medum format TLR Rolleiflex. Very interestignly, my G1 transmit me some "classical" feeling, also.

>>> Its sure making me want to the next job on the G2 and good old Tri-X as opposed to digital that we all have to use these days in order to make a living. >>>

I was using a digital camera along two years. What two empty (photographically speaking) years!. About Tri-X, I think it's one of the best films ever made by Kodak. Ilford XP2 Super is my another favourite. Interestingly, XP2 negatives are more dense and require about twice exposure time under the enlarger compared to the Tri-X ones.

>>> > Tell me how did you manage to get such good scans from the negs. >>>

I have two scanners. One is a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II that is great for slides and Ilford XP2, but a lot difficult for extracting the best from classic B&W grain-based film. Due to this I use now an Epson 3200 Perfection. Sharpness is not as good as the Minolta but greysales are fantastic. I use Paint-Shop Pro 5.01 for small contrast and unsharp-mask adjustments.

Un abrazo, Luis

This should stop, but Lytton and Douglas must have their last words....

So, for the record, could you please demonstrate exactly where in this thread you see anything from Austin that constitutes a non-objective criticism of Contax G? Or, any invalid, biased remark? Or, "bashing" as you call it? Show me, please. On the other hand, from you two, i see consistent claims that one brand is clearly "superior" to the other... rather what you're accusing Austin of doing. Contradictory, hypocritical - ridiculous lies. Are you guys in Political PR?

Please, people. These things are CAMERAS. No one's criticizing your children.... They're just tools. Your insecurity is unwarranted.

And, finally: "A Leica, like a Rolex costs an inordinate amount of money and most people who own them wear them as a status symbol and not out of admiration for the mechanical perfection it represents..."

I suppose you can tell me exactly how much money i have, or should devote to equipment purchases? "Inordinate?" Unbelievable. Yes, please, by all means - dictate to all of us what is a "reasonable" amount to spend on gear. And, of course, base this edict on your own financial worth. THAT would make a lot of sense....

Gracias Luis
I use a Nikon Coolscan 4, which is great for colour negs, but crap for B&W. I don't have a flatbed at the moment. Anyway I haven't got a darkroom anymore and its too expensive to get good quality prints from a lab. I digitise everything including printing on an Epson 2100, when I need to, which I must say is really good for B&W providing I get the scans right.
I have never used XP2 it sounds like a good idea as it uses C41 process which is cheaper and easier to get processed. Its really hard to find cheap and fast B&W procesing in London these days.
Have you tried the Kodak equivalent and how does it compare to XP2? How far can you push it, does it look ok at 800-3200 ASA?
I've never used Paint-Shop Pro only Photoshop 6.
Saludos
paul
http://www.britishpressphoto.org/paulmattsson/

Douglas,

> ...comparing the > wonderful G2 with his Leicas.

I have simply reiterated facts, facts that you and some others, seem to want to avoid/ignore, as it shows your glaring bias and shows that your claims are simply unfounded.

> This is a place for G2 thoughts, opinions and > comments about the wonderful Contax G cameras.

Yes, it certainly is, and it's also NOT a place to bash other cameras, especially when your bashing is simply false, and you are only doing it to degrade others, and salve your obviously fragile ego.

I have never once said a bad thing about the G2, but, in order to villianize me, simply because you don't like that you have been shown to be simply full of it, you have to make things up.

For someone who is supposed to be an adult (or am I simply making a wrong assumption, and you really are fourteen, and therefore your behavior can be readily explained, and your parents should be allerted...), you behave like a schoolyard juvenile.

Why are you unable to understand that they both have their place, and that one is simply not "superior" to the other? Is your ego that fragile, or are you that immature that you need to degrade others for their choices?

Austin

Hola Paul,

>>> I use a Nikon Coolscan 4, which is great for colour negs, but crap for B&W. >>>

This was exactly my experience with the Minolta scanner. It seems they have been desgned not having in mind the classic grain structure of "old" films.

>>> I have never used XP2 it sounds like a good idea as it uses C41 process which is cheaper and easier to get processed. >>>

XP2 Super is a lovely film. It has huge exposire latitude and you can expose the entire roll from 100 to 800 ASA, always getting good negatives. And you' re right about processing. I can get well controlled, quality commercial development of XP2 in 2 hours. Tri-X requires sending the film to Madrid and it takes about 3 days, since in Oviedo (located in the North of the Country) nobody develops B&W standard film.

>>> Have you tried the Kodak equivalent and how does it compare to XP2? >>>

Yes, but I don't like it. In my opinion, XP2 Super is a first-class film even able to start rivalling Tri-X. Kodak TCN (again my opinion) was designed to give photo-labs no problem for producing B&W prints from the negatives (they have the standard color mask), but I see it as an inferior product. There is no comparison.

XP2 gets a lot from the two worlds: It prints beautifully under a conventional enlarger and scans great with every actual scanner, including my Minolta. In fact XP2, until getting my Epson scanner was almost my only option for film.

Un abrazo, Luis

I would urge you all to read the above personal attack mounted by Austin Franklin, veteran Contax basher.

If you disagree with Austin, or express a contrary opinion, he resorts to a convulsive display of hysteria. Austin..nobody really wants to waste their time reading your absurd piffle about Leica cameras and other subjects on which you are regretably uninformed. Save your alpha behavior for the small animals in the woodlands who fear your barking voice and bad smell.. and spare the rest of us.

Hello all,

I'd have to agree with Peter that this thread has turned into a pissing contest. I don't own a Leica, only a Contax, but overall I'd have to say that at least Austin refrained from making insulting comments and tried to stick to facts - and he stuck mostly to facts over an issue that is very very subjective, to say the least. I open up my computer this morning to find nearly 40 e-mails, all from this thread.

Come on guys, kiss and make up, both sides have made their point over and over. It is sufficient. Let's get back to exchanging information in a helpful, informative way and leave this non-sensical animosity behind.

Sincerely,

Mark Edwards Tokyo

Oh he__. That's a nice email to end the day on. I'm going to go home and watch Stargate SG-1 and check Contax prices at KEH.

"I would urge you all to read the above personal attack mounted by Austin Franklin, veteran Contax basher." blah blah

It's just a tool, boys, not a religion!

> Come on Doug and others.

Go easy on Austin. Named after a great city and an even greater historical figure!!! (Stephen F. Austin ... hero of Texas.) I enjoy Austin's notes and technical expertise and really haven't seen any serious bashing. Just some defensive posturing! Remember the Alamo.

Michael.

Hi Guys, I've been trying to follow this "fascinating" debate cluttering my Inbox, and just in case I've missed something ... I tried to tot up exactly what I could learn from this thread, by re-reading all the posts. Not that I'm complaining that I received them ... you understand! How else would I learn? (write list below)

But .... I'm still tring to see what I could learn!
happy.gif

Could any one summarise the major points so far? I'd be very pleased .... cos' my head hurts

So ... just to sum it up, exactly where can I buy this mythical G3
happy.gif

And .... If I see Red Dots .... does it mean I've been looking at the Sun tooooooo loooooong!
happy.gif

Cheers, Bob.

Back