DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica Summicron 50mm 2cam

G

I have an older Leica 2-cam lens that I inherited, I have heard that it's not functional with my R4, that 2-cam only works with the SL etc. I was wondering if this was true?

It will still work... but I guess you will have to do Step Down metering...

Robert,

The third cam can be installed at little cost. I had mine done at Solms along with a general clean, lubrication of the focusing mount and collimation. From memory the cost including postage from Australia and insurance was about US$130.00.

It is worth the trouble, particularly as the first Summicron-R is in my humble opinion a better lens.

Justin Scott

I am very new to the whole world of Leica. I just bought a new R8 body without a lens. For Christmas I received a Leitz Summicron-R 50mm f2 (made in Canada) lens. This lens has only two cams. I read about lenses appropriate for the R8 in the manual that came with the body but found the information confusing.

Does anyone know if I can use this lens on the R8 body? I don't want to attach the lens until I am sure. If I can use it with the R8, what will be my limitations?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Faisal HUDA

Faisal,
I don't have an R8, but I hope this information will help:
http://www.kbcamera.com/rcams.htm
It says you cannot damage your camera by attaching the lens, but you need to stop it down.
Enjoy your R8! (for the time being, with some limitations)
Juan

Thank you very much for your help, Juan. I plan on taking my first pictures on a trip to Eastern Europe (Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Kolin) starting in Paris and going by car via the Swiss alps. If any picture turns out well, I will try to post them on this site.

Happy holidays!

Faisal HUDA

Faisal,

As I posted on October 23 (above) have the third cam added. You will appreciate the improvement

Justin

Back