DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Using other lenses for the Contax G system via Contax GA1 adapter

G

Does anyone have experience using the GA-1 adapter and Contax SLR lenses? Are there any other lenses besides the Contax lenses that can be used? I understand that autofocus won't work using these lenses.

>I used to use the GA-1 on a G1 camera, and it works just fine. Besides for= having no autofocus, you have no coupled focus either, so you have to scal= e focus, i.e. visually judge the distance and focus using the scale on the = SLR lens.=20

For wide angel lenses this is fine because you have great depth of focus. I= have used the G1/GA-1 combination with my distagons 28/2.8 and 18/4. If yo= u set the f-stop on 8 then you have focus from 2 meters to infinity. The GA= -1 also sets the viewfinder in the G1 correctly, but only in the range 28 t= o 85mm, so for the 18 you need a separate viewfinder - I used the one that = comes with the G Biogon 21.

I have also used it with the Zeiss triotar 135/4, which has a M42 mount. Fi= rst I used a M42/YC converter and then the GA-1. This worked fine also. But= scale focusing is difficult with 135mm. But at infinity it is fine.

regards Lars

Lars,

When you used your 18mm with the GA-1 did you use the 70-86 hood as well. If so did it interfere in anyway considering it is so wide.

Back