CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Canon 20D Severe Issues

E

eisst

I bought a 20D with grip and the new 17-85 IS lens last week. It’s a very sweet camera performance wise. I took lots of test pictures with no problem. The software is excellent. However…. I’m a professional photographer and last night, 1/3 way through shooting a wedding, my brand new 20D locked up with error 99. I switched back to my 10d because it was a critical moment, when aren't there? When I had a moment, I went back to the 20D and it worked fine again …until it did it again an hour later. This happened about four times in one night. It also locked up with no error. It just wouldn’t let me take a picture but the display worked fine. I felt like throwing the damn thing out the window. I depend on camera reliability for a living and I need dependability. I tried reseating the lens, CF, Grip, and flash with no joy. I also tried turning the damn thing off and it refused to die. I went to the Canon site and I see a 1.0.4 upgrade but when I click on it it says it doesn’t exist. I need this fixed NOW!!! Does anyone know of a workaround in the meantime?

uj78

This is just a wild guess but why don't you try Canon if you just bought it= =20 it is surely under warrenty. Why would you think anyone else would have=20 experiance fixing a camera that has been on the market a couple of months?=20= Email=20 Canon Talk to your dealer that is the only way you will get this =20

E

eisst

I did the wedding nine hours ago. Canon isn't around to answer questions right now but my camera comrades are vigilant to this forum and they may have some quick insight to this issue. As I stated in my original message, I did go to the Canon site and investigated the issue. Hopefully someone else will give me more useful information than you did.

d300user

> Hello Steve...

I sometimes get error 99 messages with my Digital Rebel when I use a =20 Tamron 100-300 zoom on it (in over/underexposure situations).

In my case, it's a third party lens problem, where the info provided by =20=

the lens freezes the camera. If I make sure to stay within the F4.5 - =20=

F5.6 range the lens support, I don't crash. You might have a similar =20 issue (read: lens electronics problem). Do you replicate the issue with =20=

all your lenses or just that one?

Chris Dupuis

molley

No-one is saying nor assuming you ARE an idiot but you do come across as a tad aggressive lol.....If you have a 20D then it has to be under warranty so you have to give your saeller the chance to investigate and sort the problem out and doing anything yourself or going to another repairer would not be a wise move ..... Stuart

ronboyd

Yeah, like it is a lot more productive to assume you are smarter than the rest of us. While there are no dumb questions the same cannot be said about responses. You are taking things much too personal.

Ron

R

roblumba

Did you try cleaning the contacts. The new flash system requires more info communicated from the lens. Although I'm not sure at the moment wether this has anything to do with it since only certain lenses apply. Anyhow, I think Steve is like many people who invest money into a new tool and find out that it's not acting new! And how embarassing to be proud of your new camera and emotionally excited about using it, then it let's your down. I don't think Steve's agressive, but definitely frustrated. I've felt like throwing my cell phone out the window a few times. I definitely understand the level of frustration that he's probably feeling.

Calling Canon's a great idea. But if you haven't already, check the contacts. There's a trick I've heard where people use a pencil eraser and rub on the contact with it to get it very clean. I haven't tried it, but it seems to work for many people.

stevehale

> [There is some issue with the 20D. I'm just messing around at the moment, taking pictures of my daughter. I have a 550 flash on the camera just changed the lens, switched camera off first, camera would not power back up. Having read some of the things the camera seems to do I whipped the battery out waited about 5secs popped it back in and away we go. Have not been able to reproduce the fault though which as a electronic test engineer I find a bit of a worry.]

stevehale

> [A little more info. I have just got into the can't power off mode now! I am playing with a Sigma 15-30 and a Canon 28-135 IS, the 550 flash is still on the camera. However I have noticed that changing lenses with or without camera power on the flash unit still responds to the lens settings. Again remove battery an away we go.]

neater

For those who have applied the 1.0.4 update to their 20D, note the following:

"We have discovered that the version 1.0.4 firmware released on October 4 had a bug in the program that handles the update. In cases where the update was performed with a lens attached to the camera, there were situations in which the firmware could not be updated correctly.

"In cases where the firmware was not updated correctly, the camera might not power on, the camera might not communicate properly with the lens and flash, or similar malfunctions might occur.

"Canon offers its sincerest apologies to customers who have been inconvenienced by this situation.

"Even for customers who successfully updated to the version 1.0.4 firmware without incident, Canon recommends updating to the new version 1.0.5 firmware for the sake of certainty. "

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Richard

Dear All

I am so surprised by those latest mistakes by Canon. I have some questions to the commercial management of EOS D series maybe we can get some answers:

why 20D commes so shortly after 10D Was 10D pre-matured? I was rushing to buy it and a year later I feel confronted with the dilema of "next" generation!?

why EF 10 -22 is only for 20D? is 10D and its users not good enought to get the new lens or shall we feel pushed to buye the new 20D to get access to that lens?

20D software seems to be released hastly with bugs - is it good for the reputation of my favorit camera maker?

Best Regards
Andre Naloh

B

bergfrosch

Dear Andre

"why 20D commes so shortly after 10D Was 10D pre-matured?"

I think digital photography will generally have similar product cycles and invention cycles as the IT-Industry. Therefore IMO we will see new digital SLR-Bodies every - or at least every second - year. This is not a Canon specific "problem".

"why EF 10 -22 is only for 20D?"

Have a look at
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

This site explains whiy the EF 10-22 doesn't fit on a 10D.

Summary:

Digital SLR's with crop factor do have smaller mirrors and can therefore use a lens with a shorter back focus than full frame cameras. This means that the lense can move closer to the mirror, which allows smaller, lighter and cheaper lenses to be built (=EF-S). But if you use such a lense on a 35 mm, the mirror will crash into the rearmost optical surface of the lens and will be damaged and/or damage the lense. To prevent that, Canon constructet the EF-S lenses such that they do not fit on 35 mm cameras or full frame (or 1.3 crop) digitals. The EF-S lens has a protrusion at the back which prevents it being attached to other bodies than 20D/300D. The 20D/300D have space inside the body for this protrusion.

The 10D was introduced before the EF-S lenses and is therefore not compatible, since it lacks above discribed space. Have a look at the stated site. It also explains how to adapt an EF 10-22 to a 10D.

"20D software seems to be released hastly with bugs - is it good for the reputation of my favorit camera maker? "

I agree with you, that this is not good for camera makters. Similar to the first answer, this has to do with the short invention cycles as well as with the fact, that writing bugless software seems to be impossible. Canon seems to adapt to software industry standards :-(.

Regards

Philipp

Dear Philipp

That was very nice of you to mail the explanations. Thanks a lot!
I supose you are not in the management group :)

Well, my point was that Canon has addopted quality lowering agresive marketing attitude when it comes to customer class of DSLR. I just do not like this attitude. It is a cash caching aproach not in line with what Canon was presenting so far. And the idea of home modifying the lens reminds me of the times when in the mid 60-ties as a 10 years old boy I was home improving my first super simple camera.
By the way, the site you mention is about 17- 55 not 10- 22. The latter is much more expensive.

If you know how to reach the Canon management group please let me know ;-).
Kind regards and thanks again
Andre

cyclist2

> This thread is very interesting. I just did a comparison of the 20D and 10D for color, sharpness, noise, and other factors. Canon seems to bring out new cameras every 6 months or so. The D30, D60, 10D, 20D, and digital Rebel. > I've been wondering if maybe they are rushing new models to the unsuspecting public. And maybe these new models aren't up to the old Canon standards. Also,my lenses are mostly Canon, and no problem with my 10D. I do have 2 > Sigmas that work just fine: a 105 macro and 50-500 EX. The 105 was sent back to Sigma to be rechipped, which they did free. The 50-500 didn't need rechipping. I seem to be in the minority on other lists, but I'm disappointed in > the 20D. It just doesn't seem to be up to the standards of Canon. I have the D30, 10D, and A2E(film), and Power Shot Pro 1 (for everyday shots) which are all excellent. Maybe rushing production of the 20D has made an inferior > product. Back in the 1960's Nikon made the F, then came a whole list of F cameras. The original Nikon F was a workhorse and was an amazing instrument. I still have mine plus an FG. Some of the other F's were not so good! I see > Canon heading in the same direction, making a few good cameras, then a string of inferior models. It's too bad because I really like Canon and it's great lenses.

>

gunnargb

Can someone help me if there is a download software for the Eos20D that is having problem with the AF. My new 20D does not have the images in focus. Have heard there is a way to fix that?
Please someone knows how ?
/Gunnar

honda

Hi Gunnar, can you load a photo so we can see what the trouble is.
Regards--Dorg.---I am using a 20D and am getting superb results focus good.AM very pleased with 20D.

gunnargb

I did a "backfocus test" and that was okej!
I guess it is the lense that is very soft.
The kit lense Ef-s 18-55/3,5-5,6 was used on the Eos 20D and we compared with the Nikon D70 with the kit lense Nikkor 18-70

Photos have been cropped in Photoshop and in Auto levels.
Both cameras were set to JPG high.

IMG_00044 = Eos 20D
DSC_00055 = D70 se next posting
Regards/Gunnar
31049.jpg