DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N-Digital - the ultimate Contax Fan-Test....

Well done Marc, you are obviously a man of adventure. I am v interested to hear your opinion on the N versus the 645c back as I am soon going that way myself but can't afford both.

...here are 2 other N-Digital photo-ex&les.

http://www.lonestardigital.com/

If there is enough interest of Contaxinfo.com-members, I could try to contact Contax Germany to get perhaps a kind of statement/explanation regarding the Contax N-Digital. There are just so many different views on this on the internet, that it is getting annoying.

What do you think about this idea?

dirk

They look fine to me although they are web-based images and that is a long way from how they might look in print.

I am surprised that Contax do not take an active interest in forums such as this. They will get far more feedback than they will ever get at trade shows or from dealer outlets.

Give 'em a call Dirk, let's see some answers from the horse's mouth!

Simon

Dirk..I'm with you...but then when you're charging $7K for a digital camera, it's going to raise some emotions..

Simon..
Thank you again for your expertise.. As far as Contax goes.. I would be surprized if they WEREN'T monitoring this list. If they do it in stealth mode, they get a better idea of the sentiments about their equipment than if everybody knew they were lurking. I'm on several motorcycle lists and know for Certain that they are monitored by the marketing department of several of the manufacturers. I'm betting Canon and Nikon have people that check this discussion group as well.
Jeff

Has anyone seen the final installment of the N Digital review in the British Journal of Photography? Was this a positive review?

Here is a website with some balanced comments about the N Digital:

http://www.lonestardigital.com

Brian

There is a review of the N1 Digital in the September issue of the UK pc magazine PC PRO, page 123. If you cannot get a copy I will email it to you.

Hello all, I am back from my trip with 4 gig worth of N Digital images. I flew to the Carolinas to supervise the making of a TV commercial, and then went to NYC to edit it.
I took the new N Digital, 24-85, 50/1.4 and new 85/1.4 along for the trip. For comparison you should know that I shoot with D1-Xs and a Kodak 645C Proback on a Contax 645.

First of all....
THIS CAMERA ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know who's been shooting the washed out, dish water dull ex&les that I've seen so far, but they sure ain't anything like what I brought home. They must be popping out the shots directly from the camera and not processing them in Photoshop at all. Slight tweeks in contrast and saturation and you're there. These images ARE NOT SOFT, they are razor sharp. If somone is getting soft images they obviously didn't shoot it right. Enough editorial, on with the report.

I think I know why they changed the ISOspec's
downward. When shooting with the Nikon D1-X at say 100 ISO and I underexpose a image, I can lift it with Photoshop levels quite easily with manageable noise. Not so with the Contax N-D. Badly underexposed images introduce huge noise when trying to lift them. So meter carefully and check the histogram.
Batteries are a bit of a bother if you're using the "hold" feature for the review on the LED.
A set of 4 rechargables lasted me about a gig card. But the batteries weren't seasoned yet so we'll see. I took an extra set and recharged them while shooting with the other set. I will order a couple spare battery holders from Contax and that'll solve the problem( just like with the D1-X). The Auto color temp balance seemed off, and I used the actual temp numbers for most of the shots. This is a really easy to use and effective feature of this camera. This camera is slooooow on the uptake when you first turn it on. 4 or 5 seconds slow. I detect some issues with true blacks but I haven't had time to fiddle with the controls to balance it. I remember that it took me a month before getting my D1-X set to my liking, so I must give the Contax due time. Flash presents a new learning curve compared to the Nikon but that also is a matter of time to figure out its' little quirks. All-in-all the prints are absolutely analog looking with very natural looking skin tones and incredible detail. And it's great to put a 24mm on the camera and get a 24mm view in the finder. The tonal gradations are what I expected from a 6+ meg sensor with pixels that big. On occassion the camera balked at working right away, usually because I forgot to reset the rear wheel, but heck my Mac does that all the time, so I just reboot and go. It's also slower than the Nikon at dumping unwanted shots. But the images are worth it, believe me. Conclusion: IT ROCKS!!! It's a bit of a slower, more deliberate camera compared to the Nikon D1-X, just like the N film camera compared to a F 100. But there is something to be said for that also.

There seems to be a recall in Asia for the N-Digital. I can not really see the reason. Might be the battery or software. Here is the link:

http://www.kyocera.co.jp/news/2002/0207/N-digital. html

and here is the alta vista translation:

News " of CONTAX N DIGITAL " gratuitous repair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 29 of 2002 day

Customer everyone

The Kyocera corporation

Usually, to grant the extraordinary pulling raising to this corporation CONTAX product, thank you truly.

Well, being to come to the point of with repairing below-mentioned contents gratuitously this each time concerning the " CONTAX N DIGITAL ", we inform. We apologize the fact that trouble it does to apply to the customer whom purchase it receives. By all means that this opportunity as utilization it comes simply, also in the future patronage is granted, we ask.

* Object product
CONTAX N DIGITAL (May 19th of 2002 sale)

* Repair contents
Concerning below-mentioned item, with adding the part and rewriting et cetera the software, you improve.

(1) Cancellation of the operation stop with the brown out at the time of serial radiography
Use power source (the single type 3 nickel hydrogen electric batteries) depending upon charge circumstance, when serial radiography (the highest approximately 3 scenes / second) doing, the operation stop with brown out occurs, for cancelling because there are times when re-operation of the power switch becomes necessary, you replace the part.

(2) Photographing data misprint record cancellation of Exif
When focal length uses the lens of the 255mm from the 128mm, because with the graphics file various photographing times when it is recorded among the data, the data of lens focal length is recorded at erroneous numerical value, it rewrites the software.

(3) With respect to of secure propensity of power source loading
Unreasonable power source with correct angle (the single type 3 nickel hydrogen electric batteries) in order to prevent the trouble due to loading, the error loading prevention guard metallic parts are installed.

* Correspondence to customer
You execute at gratuitous repair job. To the below-mentioned capital ceramic service station of the vicinity directly to have it receives, or that at postage cash on arrival sending it receives in Tokyo / capital ceramic service station, it asks. Furthermore, because, about 1 week it means with to keep to sending back after the repair job, that acknowledgement it grants beforehand, we ask.

* Capital ceramic service station (acceptance time 9: 00-17: You exclude 00 earth day holidays)
Bill top § 060-0001 the Sapporo city Chuo Ku Kita Ichijo Nishi 7-3 (north Ichijo first life building)
TEL: 011-261-3466
East north § 980-0804 the Sendai city greenery Ku Omachi 2-2-10 (the Sumitomo life Sendai greenery building)
TEL: 022-223-9581
East capital § 150-8303 the Tokyo Shibuya Ku Jingumae 6-27-8 (the Kyocera Harajuku building)
TEL: 03-3400-1422
Nagoya § 460-0003 the Nagoya city Ku brocade 3-4-6 (cherry tree Otsu first life building)
TEL: 052-962-7161
Large ã § 532-0003 Miyahara Ku the Osaka city Yodogawa 3-5-24 (new Osaka first life building)
TEL: 06-6399-2400
Nine state § 812-0016 the Fukuoka city Hakata Ku Hakata station south 2-9-11 (the Fukuoka Yamazen building)
TEL: 092-472-6936

* Regarding this case the tip of the inquiry
Customer aspectual talks room (acceptance time 9: 00 - 19: As much as 00 earth day holidays reception)

TEL: 0077-78-0500 (no charge)

With E -mail inquiry

Further Thoughts on the N Digital

I have had an N Digital camera and several lenses on loan for a few days, and the one thing I have learned in that period, is that it takes more than a quick play around in a camera shop to get the best results from this camera. I have experience of using a Nikon D1 so some comparisons are inevitable in terms of the handling, although I realise the Contax is aimed at a different market. My own cameras are two RTSIII’s with associated lenses, so I am well acquainted with the quality to be expected from Contax.

As you will by now have realised from reading the many other posts that are around on this forum and others, there has been a lot of criticism about the quality of images available on web sites. The file sizes go up to a possible 32mb, so it’s not really practical to post full size images on the web – you really need to see prints, or get a hold of a full sized file for viewing in Photoshop to appreciate the quality the camera can produce. Even RAW files – there is no in camera processing with these files – are around 9.5Mb and require “developing” with the Contax software supplied with the camera. The resulting developed tif files are around 17Mb, so downloading over the web, unless you have broadband, is impractical. If you want to see the maximum quality, these are the file sizes that have to be dealt with.

Image analysis details are available from the Jpeg EXIF information for this camera. If you want to download an Exif reader try http://www.takenet.or.jp/~ryuuji/minisoft/exifread/english/

To read the Exif data, save one of the images at the end of this article with a filename of your choice, and having downloaded the reader from the link above, open the file in the reader and there you have it – all the file information. This will only work on Jpeg files, not the other formats, RAW and tif.

I’ve posted some results on my own web site www.cvscotland.com, with full details of the settings and lenses used and there are some s&le versions following this article. I would be happy to provide prints or CD-ROM files from my site – the business is there to supply photographs for reproduction by tourist boards and magazines, as well as provide exhibition quality prints. Should you order anything, you will not be disappointed in the quality – it is excellent.

This quality is very much there to be explored, and brought out of the camera, but having said that, there are some issues which Contax need to address, and some additional excellent features.

First Impressions Count

My initial impression of the look and feel of the N1 Digital, are that it continues the twin themes of quality and good design shown in all the Contax/Zeiss products. The body is heavy duty – without being heavy – the camera is lighter that it appears it should be. Major controls follow the well established Contax conventions, and the overall look and feel of the product is one which instils confidence.

I like in particular, how an existing Contax user can pick up the camera and feel relatively at home with it fairly quickly. Top controls are similar to the N bodies, and in this area Contax have got it just right. On the RTSIII, I use the “on” switch AEL button a lot to lock in a reading – although it looks the same on the N1, the action is not quite as easy in my experience because it is a bit stiffer and more “clunky” – it still works just as well though in terms of locking the reading.

Although the “on” switch works fine, it takes a few seconds for the camera to synchronise all the electronics before you can take a picture. During this period, a red LED on the camera body flashes, and you will be unable to access any functions – it probably takes about 3 seconds to “boot up”. Half pressure on the shutter button produces the viewfinder display, and this shows just about everything you will need in a very comprehensive and clear viewfinder.

In my earlier report, I mentioned the batteries which are standard AA size cells. I’m not sure if there are enough of them – on a full charge with only occasional use of the preview screen, I shot 45 Jpeg1 format images before the batteries needed to be changed. By comparison the Nikon D1 will take over 300 Jpeg shots on a full charge – I realise of course that the power consumption of the full size chip may have a bearing on this, but if I were to use this camera, it would be in the field relying on the batteries, and more capacity would be an advantage.

Another improvement would be to fit the LCD monitor with a cover (like the Nikon) it gets very greasy easily, and is difficult to see in daylight, even with the brightness turned up. The cover could be designed to double as a shade for easier viewing.

Secondary Mechanicals

With a film camera the film is chosen to fit the subject, film speed, colour balance and so on. Once you have loaded the film, there is generally no need to change a setting until the next film. With a digital camera, you can take consecutive pictures at different ISO, different file formats and different light balance. Because of this, the user will go to these controls much more often than in a film camera. This is one area where there I feel must be a big improvement in the ergonomics.

These are the existing settings.

Selecting ISO – Move exposure mode lever to ISO and use the front command dial to select sensitivity – move lever back when finished. Readout shows on top LCD.
Selecting format – Hold the recording format button until the rear display starts flashing and use the rear command dial to select format – press enter when done. Readout shows on rear LCD.
Selecting White Balance – Hold the white balance button for one second – use rear command dial to select setting press enter when done. Readout shows on rear LCD panel.

As these are pretty fundamental controls, this is a bit of a mix up, and something should be done to bring some consistency to the use and positioning of these controls. You do get used to it, but it’s not as easy as it should be.

In my view, these controls should be taken onto a dial, on the top of the camera, and my suggestion is this should also include the other often used control, the drive mode. This new dial – in size much like the drive dial on the RTSIII – should have a neutral position, then 4 control positions for ISO, Format, White Balance and Drive, with the changes appearing on the same LCD (and possibly in the viewfinder), and using the same command dial or possibly both command dials, but not different dials for each function.

White balance is important in a digital camera, as it can be adjusted for many kinds of lighting. The one touch white balance preset is superb, as correct white balance can make a massive difference to the finished picture. You can set the white balance in any light conditions by holding a piece of white paper in front of the camera some distance from the lens, and clicking the white balance button. This retains the setting in the camera for future use, and will not change until reset, even if the camera is switched off – the indication on the LCD is very small, and could easily be missed.

There should be something in the viewfinder, or a mechanical indication that the setting has been changed, because once changed, it remains that way. I’m sure such a facility could be retained using my suggested controls in the previous paragraph. Again taking a leaf out of the RTSIII, the flash preview lever fires the flash and records the reading. It is obvious when this has been used, because the red dot is visible – those of you familiar with the RTSIII will know how easy this is to use. Why not have something similar for the one touch white balance control on the N Digital.

Exposure

I like the variety of choices with exposure. The capabilities are there to get a good result in almost any condition. With digital images, it is critical to retain the highlights, because if they burn out, this will affect the look of the shot.

The evaluative exposure seems to be set up to avoid burning out the highlights, and therefore under exposes a bit. As the resulting pictures are processed in Photoshop or similar software, this is not a problem, because the detail is easily brought up by adjusting the levels. I achieved very good results using manual settings with a hand held meter reading, and under exposing a further half stop.

Exposure compensation is excellent, and mirrors the RTS system.

Focus

This is very comprehensive, and takes practice to get used to – my results were pretty much on the money all the time. On the Nikon D1, there is one button on the camera back to select the focus indicators in the viewfinder. The same button can be used for horizontal and vertical shots – it’s more convenient to use than the 2 differently positioned controls on the N Digital (one for horizontal, and a duplicated set of controls for vertical images).

Set-up Functions

There is a comprehensive set-up menu available on the rear screen. My only comment here is that the Format option for formatting the storage card should be at the top of the list. A Nikon engineer told me the card (as used in the Nikon) should be formatted each time after the files are downloaded to the computer, so if you are adopting the same procedure for the Contax you are going to use the format setting quite a lot.

ISO

The ISO range is limited, but the images I took in poor light even at 100 ISO have a little noise on them – only visible when greatly magnified, and very acceptable in terms of quality. At ISO over 200, there is a significant amount of noise – it is one of the trade offs you have to live with. Obviously as chips are developed this will improve, but I would be looking for at least 25 – 800 ISO as a useful range, with custom functions going beyond that even if some noise is produced.

Preview

The preview is excellent subject to my comments on the brightness, but you can’t preview a RAW format image – this is important, because you may wish to delete such images to free up memory on the card - as has already been said, they are big files.

The preview button on the Nikon is one push to preview the picture you have just taken, and a second push to switch off the monitor. This can’t be done on the Contax, because it cycles through all the views – this should be optional – apart from anything else, it wastes battery power.

It is essential that the preview is easy to see – this is after all one of the main benefits of the digital system, and I used it to check for burnt out highlights. This was very much easier on the Nikon as the Contax takes too long to navigate the preview screens, or it switches the preview off prematurely. I think you should be able to adjust not only the preview brightness, but also contrast.

The focus on the zoom lenses is near silent, but the 85mm and 100mm macro is much louder – I assume this is supposed to be the case. Also the zoom ring of the 17-35mm is in a different place than the 24-85mm lens – this is most unusual for Zeiss, as they are usually very consistent in such matters. The 24-85mm lens has the zoom control furthest from the camera body, while in the other lens this is the focus ring, with the zoom control nearer the camera.

The 17-35mm zoom is the best super wide I’ve tried – no lens flare at all when shooting sunsets – you don’t get that on my current 18mm CZ lens! Put my name down for one now – it is a superb bit of glass.

The adjustment for dioptre of the viewfinder is excellent, and much better than the RTSIII – I suppose once you have set it, you can forget it.

Compared to the Nikon the camera is slow to operate – what I mean by that, is that it takes much longer to process images, or get ready for the first shot after switching on. There seems to be no facility to show the number of pictures taken, only the number left. Certainly the space left on the chip is the most important of these two settings. If you change the format half way through, the camera recalculates the number of shots left at the new format.

The main issues for improvement, is that the ISO range is too limiting, and there should be a major improvement in the controls to set ISO/Formats/White Balance and Drive.

The software is something which I have not yet mentioned. It certainly does the job, but does not look totally finished, and has a spelling mistake on one of the on screen buttons. It does the job though, and the best feature is that if Photoshop is open, the image can be imported straight into the software – this is excellent, and saves much mucking about. It takes a lot longer to process a RAW image than the Nikon software does – I use Bibble 2002 which is a download from the net – this issue is being addressed in a software upgrade.

Conclusions

The results I have where the light and exposure is good are stunning, and in quality the equal of scanned in images from colour negative film. I use a Canoscan FS 2710 at 2700 dpi and the N Digital is just as good. In terms of out and out optical quality, this camera takes a lot of work to find out what it’s capable of. It is better optically than the Nikon, and the results speak for themselves. The lenses are superb, and as we say in the UK – “The proof of the pudding is in the eating.”

I have tried in this forum to give some balanced comment to go with the equally informative comments from other users. On other forums comments have clearly been written by people who have neither used or seen the results from the camera. It is a great leap forward, and lives up to the quality of image we have come to expect from Contax and Zeiss. Yes it could be improved in a number of areas, but I would have one – in fact I’ve started saving!
14057.jpg
14058.jpg
14059.jpg

New information regarding the recall of the N Digital: It seems to affect only the bodies which were sold in Asia.

So it does not effect stock outside Asia.

hope that helps in this turbulant times...

dirk

Back