Canons that donbt fog infrared

Discussion in 'Q&A for better images' started by bronwyn, Apr 24, 2004.

1. bronwyn

bronwyn Member

Does anyone know of canon camera that doesn't fog when shooting black and white infrared. I have an eos elan, eos 3 and an A2...the A2 is the best but still fogs. I would like to be able to stay with canon and use all my lenses....any suggestions?

2. jsmisc

jsmisc Well-Known Member

Hello Bronwyn,
    I have never tried infra red but I have read that it is tricky. I wonder if the A2 is the best because it is a metal body but if there is no window in the back, I wouldn't have thought that it should fog provided that the seals are OK. Is it alright with ordinary film?
    Cheers,
    John

3. bronwyn

bronwyn Member

My understaning of the problem with fogging has more to do with the dx coding and the laser that is built into canons for reading that on the film. I have put black gaffers tape over the back window on my cameras but I have also tried it without doing this and it doesn't seem to matter....I want to be able to use my AF lenses...
    I am ok with going totally manual, because when I shoot infrared that's what I do anyway but I want to use my lenses....

Yes, all of the cameras are alright with regular film just that tricky infrared causes problems....

Thanks for responding, John.

(oh and if I can get this figured out, I would also like to try shooting underwater with infrared....not too ambitious, I hope)

Bronwyn

4. grh

grh Member

Lasers are not used to read DX. Look inside your camera and you will see a row of pins that contact the film cassette. On the side of the cassette the DX code is black and silver squares - silver conducts between the pins, black insulates, and that's how your camera reads DX. The problem with Canons and IR is the diode used to measure the film advance.

5. bronwyn

bronwyn Member

ok Guy,

I probably can't circumvent the diode since that is how the film advances, so it is sounding like I will need to go to a camera that I will have to manually advance....

I wonder if any of my AF lenses will work or if this means a new "old" camera and a few lenses too....

6. mike_nunan

mike_nunan Guest

Hi Bronwyn,

The EOS-1v is definitely ok with IR film -- one of the many small advantages it holds over the EOS-3. If you want to avoid the expense of a 1v, it might be worth investigating whether the older 1-series cameras have the same feature. I'm sure a quick email or phone call to Canon would clear the matter up.

HTH

-= mike =-

7. bronwyn

bronwyn Member

Thanks Mike!

This information is exactly what I'm looking for (a good place to start and some hope!)....I was also told to check out this web site You must be logged in to see this link.
    which I found very helpful with some other canon recommendations that were a little expensive than the eos1-v....so I guess what I will try to do is rent? a few of these to try out before I buy.

does anyone know a good source for used equipment?

Thanks!

Bronwyn

8. mike_nunan

mike_nunan Guest

Hi Bronwyn,

That Photonotes site is great isn't it? I hadn't looked at the IR stuff on there until yesterday, but I saw the reply to your other posting and went and checked it out. I've been there before for information on the Canon flash system though.

Re used equipment, where are you based??

-= mike =-

9. bronwyn

bronwyn Member

Hi Mike,

I'm in Colorado near Denver.

Bronwyn

10. mike_nunan

mike_nunan Guest

I'm in London, UK, so my advice may not be as relevant as some other peoples' around here since I don't often get used equipment from dealers in the US. I have done business with KEH (You must be logged in to see this link.) a couple of times and have been very satisfied.

-= mike =-

11. indytone

indytone Member

Hey,

I have a Canon G3 and use a Hoya Infrared filter all the time. I've never had it "fog" on any shot. I do a lot of outdoor infrared shots and the only issue I've had is that I have to wait until weather conditions are perfect to get a great shot. Obviously I can't control that though. [​IMG]

12. grh

grh Member

What film are you using in that Powershot G3?

13. changobailado

changobailado Member

14. indytone

indytone Member

Sorry, didn't see anywhere that the original post distinguished between digital or film Canons.

[​IMG]

15. changobailado

changobailado Member

Anthony, I'd be interested to see what your infrared images with your G3 look like. Have any s&les online???

Al

16. indytone

indytone Member

Al,

Here's one that I took a few weeks ago. I need to resize the others and upload them.

[​IMG]

It was a very sunny, hot, and non windy day when I took it. Perfect conditions.

17. changobailado

changobailado Member

Wow, that looks great. I never realized that the G3 would produce such nice infrareds with just a filter. I had read that there are certain digital cameras that are sensitive to infrared light with the proper combination of filters. Is this the case with the G3 or is the Hoya infrared filter all you needed? I've seen some infrared shots taken at outdoor wedding ceremonies and they look fabulous. I'd like to try that with my 10D if possible.

Thanks,

Al

18. indytone

indytone Member

All I use is the Hoya. The only other thing I do is change the image size (when needed) in Photoshop.

Tips (that you will likely find anywhere else):
    1. Use a tripod w/ remote to keep the camera as still as possible
    2. Take advantage of proper weather conditions (Sunny, not windy)

19. mloufrost

mloufrost Active Member

This may be duplication of an earlier discussion, but will the digital Rebel (300D) be able to
    produce infrared images with the Hoya filter?
    Mary Lou