DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Experience with the MP

I have an M7 and the on/off doesn't bother me now in my second year with it, although it did in my first year. You quickly get used to the pace of the machine and it becomes part of you. The haptics of the Leica are really what sell me to the system, although the optics are also very important.

KN

Erik,

>> I would like to see that the on/off switch was actuated by the transport-lever, in exactly the same way as the good old Nikkormat did. <<

Just this morning I took out one of my Nikon FM2's to finish a roll. For the last three years, I've been shooting almost exclusively with my M Leicas so the first thing that jumped at me was that I had to remember to pull out the advance lever so the camera would fire. Then I remembered what prompted me to buy the MD-12 motor drive that is gathering dust in the shelves; so I could override the shutter/meter lock. My thought was that if the Leicas had that feature I would go crazy. Fortunately the morning shots were static. In an action (street) rig that would be disastrous.

I seldom remember to place my M6 or MP in B. So far, my Billingham L2 (Alice, predecessor to the M bag) holds my two M bodies snugly enough that nothing touches the shutter button.

By the way, there's a guy that makes a nice switch that replaces the battery cover --I think he calls it "The Rose". I'll try to find the URL. That's a _good_ solution for people with battery drain problems.

-----

PS, found it! http://www.quickreleaseplate.com/m6switchpage.html

Jorge,

Thank you very much for your ideas on how I can save my batteries. I think 'The Rose' is nice, but it reminds me of the film advance lever on the Contax I, a thick knob on the wrong place. No, I would prefer the switch as on the Nikkormat FTN, for I always pull out the transport-lever before shooting and the Nikkormat switch did not lock the shutter when folded. Also easy when the LED's are distracting, simply fold the lever and they're off.
Another thing on the MP that I do not like is the smooth body-cover material. I would greatly prefer the beautifully structured material they used on the Hammertone MP. The next time I see the Dutch Leica-representatives ODIN I will ask if its possible (and at what cost) to change the covering of my MP to that of the Hammertone.

regards,

Erik.

What I like about my M6.
It makes me really think about photography! All my other cameras, Nikons, Contax (RF and SLR), Cannon and my digitals do all the work for me. The results from the Leica is a picture I MADE..I did the setting,exposure etc. Add to that the incredible sharpness of the Leica lenses and my occasional "happy accident" is a picture I can really enjoy.
A small thing perhaps to you experts, but a joy nonetheless.
Jeff in Texas

Erik,

>> Another thing on the MP that I do not like is the smooth body-cover material. I would greatly prefer the beautifully structured material they used on the Hammertone MP <<

You can count on GOJ (Good Old Jorge <vbg>) to come up with the right URL's ;-) Check this for a DIY (do it yourself) solution: http://www.cameraleather.com/leica_m/preview.htm

Although these guys have a page on Vulcanite removal, it looks like something I would probably flinch at doing.

On the other hand, I have four Leicas; a IIIc factory converted to IIIf/ST with "sharkskin" vulcanite, a M2 with "pebble grain" vulcanite, a Wetzlar M6 with "pebble grain" vinil and a new MP with the "sandpaper" PVC(?). Of the four, the best grip is the sharkskin, closely followed by the MP. I would hesitate replacing it but to each his own taste.

Cheers,

--Jorge.

Post-data to my previous message. According to Cameraleather, M6's are covered in PVC on Fiberglass, not Vinil like I mentioned. Accordingly, MP's coverings are said to be Neoprene, not PVC. FWIW.

--Jorge.

Jorge,

Thank you for your extended research! What's important to me on covering is first that it's strong and second that its looks good. After using it a little more than half a year I think I notice already wear on the covering of my MP: the places where it is touched most often are now more shiny. Maybe it's just the grease from my hands, but I doubt that. The strongest covering material I am aware of is the stuff Nikon used on all their cameras from the 1955 S2 rangefinder model right up to the earliest F2 (its also present on the Millenium S3). That material simply does not wear at all. The vulcanite (actually it is guttapercha) on my 1932 Leica II is also pretty strong, stronger than the covering of my 1962 M3. Not only the M3 shows wear, but it smells bad too.

I like the things Cameraleather does, it looks nice, but I doubt that it's strong enough.

Regards,

Erik.

Hello all:

Little has been said about the feel of the MP.

I have owned noth M6Ti and TTL. Upon recent purchase of the MP upon a strict comparison in the store, I fell completely in Love with the MP.

The MP is twice the camera the M6 is. It feels like a fine timepiece. The mechanical improvements and tweaks made this camera a diamond.

The film advance feels unbelieveable, truly unbelievable. Believe or not, but it makes the M6 feel sloppy and crude by comparison.

It is truly TWICE as quiet as both M6's I own (and am now selling).

This is due to fact that they are sound-proofed far better than the M6.

No one has mentioned this anywhere I have seen, but my film door does not flop back and forth, but is firm, all clearances have been tightened up it seems on this camera. It is truly refined, everywhere...at least mine is.

Further, the little gap at the body where the film door rests is filled with body covering or another deadening material.

When I remove the base, the MP and M6 sound the same.

The linkages are quite different. I have not taken one completely apart, but sensitively feeling the advance motion is is a world away from both M6's I own...and am now selling.

Yep, after the MP I cannot go back to an M6...I honestly can't. The shortcomings so apparent by comparison it is annoying! ...and I dont need more than one camera anyway.

Also, unlike the chrome and Ti models, I am not AT ALL concerned of scratching or marking the lacquer surface, as well, it is supposed to wear off anyway...

There is a pschology here gentlemen. We all love craftsmanship and beauty...but it can go too far (as we see often with Leica users and above in this thread)...

To fall so in love with your equipment is a very big problem and will hold your photography back.

Strangely, I have now not a concern in the world about marking up lacquer paint...it is very liberating...a camera for life indeed.

You will not be disappointed in ANY WAY.

best regards
u

Again, for those questioning, looking, etc. I have no reservations whatsoever saying that the MP is twice the camera the M6 is.

Will it take better pictures? NO!

But the craftsmanship is beyond compare, the m3 advance is awesome to feel over the plastic.

Rewind knob may be annoying for those in a hurry, but there are aftermarket knobs with handle to solve problem if so important to you.

I had to write this again, I am that much a believer in this camera..just a diamond.

Once you go MP you will never go back. (The M6 is a great camera as are the M42, etc. but if you are "into" feel and quality, it is worth the $500 more one can find them for now...

And the $150+ it costs to upgrade the M6 finder makes it even better a deal...

The flare on the M6 (in bright light countries/areas) is VERY annoying....

Off my soapbox now..................

u

Back