DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N-System

If anyone is interested to see the quality of the N1 70-300mm zoom, I think this picture is a reasonable indicator (it will do for me anyway and I never got this quality with my Nikon zooms). This was taken on Provia 400F and scanned on a Nikon LS30 scanner. So, just image what it would have looked like taken on Provia 100F and scanned on a Flextight.

http://homepage.mac.com/sclamb/PhotoAlbum2.html

This is an awesome lens.

Simon

Thanks Alfie for your advice.:))

Does anyone know where I can get the best prices for the N1 and some lenses?

Lenses I'm looking for are:
* Makro 100mm 2.8
* 24 - 85mm 3.5
* 70 - 300mm 4.0

Thanks,
Megan

> [This week June 6,7,8 is theContax event days nationwide. It is the best time to buy Contax equiments. I gathered that all the paticipate dealers offer less 10% ,except the new Contax N digital,( less 5%). B&H in New York is the best place to shop photo equiments I know. The N system is the best system of any brands, with the nam adapter, the N1 35mm and the N1 digital can use all the great lens of the Contax 645 . This sure will prepare your future upgrade.

Hi Megan,

Call up Tamarkin's in NYC and check out www.tamarkin.com/ for the best prices.

Thanks very much and hope that it helps quite a bit. Talk to Craig, who is the very top expert in Contax equipment and uses a RX, or George who uses a T3.

Their phone number is 800-289-5342 and take advantage of Contax Days with 10% off! ;) Not bad!

Best of luck Megan...

Alfie

Hi Megan,

you will find even more dealer recommendations in the "dealer & repair" shop folder...

Hope to hear from you soon
happy.gif

dirk

Hello,

1. Does anyone have any experience with the N series 50/1.4 planar? The PopPhoto 6/02 review
has a resolution chart for it that is, well not
that great.

2. What has anyone seen for battery life? Dirk,
are you still getting just 10 rolls per battery?

3. What has anyone seen for mirror return vibration wrt the RX and/or RTSIII?

Thanks,

Paul

I don't have direct experience with the N series lens, only with the manual focus lens, but I don't understand your assessment of the resolution chart. Note that this resolution chart is not the same as the usual SQF chart that Pop Photo publishes -- thy couldn't test the Zeiss lens using that methodology because they don't yet have the equipment for the new N mount. The resolution figures were actually better than most other prime lenses that Pop Photo has reviewed. (Back in the days before they produced so-called SQF charts, the resolution values for prime lenses were never this good). The review article says that the N series lens outperforms the manual focus 50mm 1.4 Planar, which Pop Photo reviewed as superior to other 50mm lenses several years ago.

Brian

Paul,

Like Dirk, I also have been averaging only about ten 36-exposure rolls per battery. I'm needing to send my body in for troubleshooting of the cable release port anyway, so will ask them if there is some electrical problem causing battery drain at that time. In the meantime I just accept it as part of the system cost.

Ron

My battery consumption of the N1 is still at around 10 rolls/battery. But I did not send it to Contax Hamburg, because it seems to be the normal average with the N1.

Nowadays battery costs are for me a minor issue. You get them everywhere and as a photographer you are used to buy always some in advance at a cheap place.

We are living in a time, where you have even in the tiniest place an internet café. So this is in my opinion a problem of the past - and of some marketing departments
happy.gif

dirk

Brian, Pop Photo did not say the AF 50 f1.4 is superior to the manual version. It said it "outperformed the manual focus 50mm f/1.4 Planar AT (unspecified) SELECT APERTURES, especially in the corners at the closest-focusing distance." I wish POP had been more specific, so we would know whether the reported superiority is marginal, and whether it is at apertures normally used, or at, say, f22 up close....

Back