DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leg Bags, Anyone?

leg bag.jpg

Wondering if anyone's carrying around their 1s with a waist-mounted leg bag. My GF got one for her wallet, phone, keys, etc., and I'm definitely interested in carrying around my V3 + 10-30, if not more, in one, too. Haven't found anything that seems like it would fit properly (most too small, some much too big). Has anyone been using something like this? I know Cosyspeed makes something similar, but the price is beyond insane.

This is the first time for me to see such an accessory. For people who like to wear what looks like a holster this product might be good. Personally though it’s really not for me. I’m the type who carries around just a normal backpack often stuffing it with 3 or 4 N1 cameras. I removed the neck and hand straps from most of my cameras because I prefer to have in hand a bare bones device to one with strings attached, if you will.

This is the first time for me to see such an accessory. For people who like to wear what looks like a holster this product might be good. Personally though it’s really not for me. I’m the type who carries around just a normal backpack often stuffing it with 3 or 4 N1 cameras. I removed the neck and hand straps from most of my cameras because I prefer to have in hand a bare bones device to one with strings attached, if you will.
Yup, I just wanted something that I don't have to take off to sit down, or worry about swinging around when I bend down. Think of it like a fanny pack, but potentially roomier.

This waist pouch could be what you need, but it’s probably not worth paying a huge amount for. When I go out shooting I wear my backpack in the front with the main pouch open to quickly grab a camera when I need to snap away. If you have a backpack you might want to try this. One note: because backpacks are deep i stuff them half way up with soft materials like t-shirts and towels for an easy grab.

View attachment 2886

Wondering if anyone's carrying around their 1s with a waist-mounted leg bag. My GF got one for her wallet, phone, keys, etc., and I'm definitely interested in carrying around my V3 + 10-30, if not more, in one, too. Haven't found anything that seems like it would fit properly (most too small, some much too big). Has anyone been using something like this? I know Cosyspeed makes something similar, but the price is beyond insane.
I've never seen anything g like this and will have to check out your link. It is an interesting idea especially for those who walk around (not something I can do much of anymore, unfortunately). Here in AZ it would attract little attention as people would just assume I'm out with my Glock (which I don't have of course).

This waist pouch could be what you need, but it’s probably not worth paying a huge amount for. When I go out shooting I wear my backpack in the front with the main pouch open to quickly grab a camera when I need to snap away. If you have a backpack you might want to try this. One note: because backpacks are deep i stuff them half way up with soft materials like t-shirts and towels for an easy grab.

I, for one, would like to see a photo of this!

As with cameras, and tripods, I've got a lot of camera bags. I hear about this excess regularly from my wife. I keep finding various quality camera bags in the $2-$5 range at the local Goodwill thrift stores so I often bring them home hoping for just the right one for my N1 gear. At least when I go out with gear I have lots of options. And now that we are pushing triple digit highs I need to devote at least one section of any bag I take out for an ice pack to keep from cooking the camera electronics.

I've got the N1 default straps on all my bodies as that helps when I move around in the house with multiple cameras. But they definitely get in my way at times. I've been thinking of the Peak straps with the red disks on short leads that allow the main strap to be removed. If I had those leads on all the bodies I could get buy with only 2 or 3 long straps and move them around as needed.

I, for one, would like to see a photo of this!
Did you mean a photo of a backpack worn the other way around with some cameras stuffed into the main pouche? Or were you referring to the "holster?" :)
As with cameras, and tripods, I've got a lot of camera bags. I hear about this excess regularly from my wife. I keep finding various quality camera bags in the $2-$5 range at the local Goodwill thrift stores so I often bring them home hoping for just the right one for my N1 gear. At least when I go out with gear I have lots of options. And now that we are pushing triple digit highs I need to devote at least one section of any bag I take out for an ice pack to keep from cooking the camera electronics.
Triple digits! Yeah, sound like an ice pack is just as important as the perfect bag for N1 gear. I hope the circuitry in these cameras doesn't melt in these extreme conditions. :eek:
I've got the N1 default straps on all my bodies as that helps when I move around in the house with multiple cameras. But they definitely get in my way at times. I've been thinking of the Peak straps with the red disks on short leads that allow the main strap to be removed. If I had those leads on all the bodies I could get buy with only 2 or 3 long straps and move them around as needed.
So these are called Peak Straps? I always see them in video and wanted to buy some but haven't spent any significant amount of time trying to find them online. I think I should. But they seem expensive. o_O

Did you mean a photo of a backpack worn the other way around with some cameras stuffed into the main pouche? Or were you referring to the "holster?" :)
The backpack worn as a front pack of course!
Triple digits! Yeah, sound like an ice pack is just as important as the perfect bag for N1 gear. I hope the circuitry in these cameras doesn't melt in these extreme conditions. :eek:

My basic V2 plus 10-100 triple digit kit.

hot weather rig 002-1600.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON 1 J5
  • 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8
  • 18.5 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/50 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 400

So these are called Peak Straps? I always see them in video and wanted to buy some but haven't spent any significant amount of time trying to find them online. I think I should. But they seem expensive. o_O
Indeed - $45 for a strap with the quick release red disks at the company that is pulling the plug at DPR. Look for "Peak Design Leash Camera Strap (L-BL-3)"

I will have to find someone to model the backpack worn in the front with it open stuffed with 3 or 4 Vs. You'll have to wait to see this. But you do have a normal to slightly large backpack in your home, don't you? If you do put it on the other way around and put 3 of your N1s in the backpack. Then you can see for yourself.

I will do a bit of research about these Peak Design Leash Camera Straps. Hopefully I'll be able to find it online or buy it in a shop here in Tokyo. Thanks!

I will have to find someone to model the backpack worn in the front with it open stuffed with 3 or 4 Vs. You'll have to wait to see this. But you do have a normal to slightly large backpack in your home, don't you? If you do put it on the other way around and put 3 of your N1s in the backpack. Then you can see for yourself.

I will do a bit of research about these Peak Design Leash Camera Straps. Hopefully I'll be able to find it online or buy it in a shop here in Tokyo. Thanks!
Yes, I found an old backpack buried in a pile of junk here. With the shoulder straps lengthened the top of the bag just clears my chin so a bit smaller bag would probably be better. I'll look around for one locally. My only worry is that someone who sees me wearing it this way might call the bomb squad!

Back