DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G system as Pinhole camera

everyone, thanks for all the comments.
I am sorry if it seem sacriligious to a fine camera to suggest building a pinhole camera out of it. Well, my reason is purely simple: to see if I can do it. Besides, it saves me the money to get a new lens for my christmas present this year ; )

Here's a status report of what I have done so far. In an attempt to understand the workings of a pinhole camera;
I constructed a simple light shield with a small pinhole. Stuck it onto a bellows unit with a SLR on the other end.
The SLR is so that I can see the image and the effects, bellows unit is to check out the effects of different focal lengths.

Haven't done it for the G body yet. Waiting for the body cap stock to arrive.

Anyway to make a long story short, I got what I am looking for: a challenge.

I think it's great that you're pursuing the idea! Please keep us posted on your progress. I'm especially interested on where you place the "lens" in relation to the film plane (distance from) and what hole diameter gives you best results (you'll pwobably want to try several).

I've coined a name you can feel free to use: the Hole-ogon.

Best regards,

--Rick

G2 for Pinhole !?
Its like Pulling a Caravan with a Dodge Viper or a Ferrari.
Would you really drill a hole in a 20Dollar Bodycap ?
The Exposermetering wont work anyway. There are several Cameras for Pinholephotography available usually very cheap.
Skip this Idea !
Voigtlander has got a Pinhole lense available and with a Voigtlander RF Body (its a Yashica) makes it a much usefuler equipment, also get a lightmeter.

Back