DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Seek comments for VarioSonnar f4 80200mm zoom

G

Hi all, This zoom is seldomly mentioned by contaxians, why? Need comments for this zoom lens quality. Thanks in advance. John

The 80-200 F4 is a great lens , reputedly sharper than a lot of primes . I use mine all the time , it certainly is very sharp and well worth having - its been discussed ad nauseam in various other forums and certainly alot of other Contaxians own and use it too . Its certainly not the forgotten lens of the Zeiss range by any means...... Steve

Hi John,

if you click on "downloads", you can look at the MTF data of the 80-200 zooms and all other Zeiss lenses. This gives you a first impression. Read also the second topic "overview sheets" in this forum for advice on how to read the charts. If you describe more in detail what you want to do with this lens, we might be able to help you better.

dirk

Hello, can anyone tell me how to go back to the year of production of a Contax lens from the matriculation-number?
thanks

Hi Maurizio,

In contrast to Leica, this is not possible with Zeiss. They produce a certain amount of lenses i.e. the 25mm in one shot and then sell it over the years. So you might find out when it was produced, but you will not get the information when this specific lens actually was sold to the market.

dirk

During my recent order of the VS 80-200, the salesman said that the T* coating cost $75 more and that the lenses made in Malaysia didn't have the coating but the lenses made in Japan did. This dealer advertised the lens for $75 less on the internet. With the cost of the "coating", the cost was identical to NY street price. I didn't know any Zeiss lenses were made in Malaysia. Any comments?

Steer completely clear of that salesman, and walk away immediately from any supposedly Carl Ziess lens which does not have the T* coating. The T* coating is one of the features that makes Carl Zeiss lenses so special. It is ridiculous to suggest that one should buy a CZ lens without the T* coating. The salesman you met is a complete idiot or a con man, or both. Beware of frauds.

John,

I lived in Asia almost 20 years. These people are masters of duplication and we Westerners can be so gullible, comparatively.

Ex&le: In the late 70s I was headed back to the states and wanted to pick up a new model Nikon (can't remember the exact model). I had friends who had a contact in Kowloon, HK who would, if you told him who you were and mentioned who you represented, would sell you the desired product for the "real" price, no bargaining needed.

The morning I got there, I headed up the street, looking in all the shops to compare prices, so as to be ready when I arrived at my destination. I introduced myself, said the message I was instructed to give, and mentioned the Nikon model I wanted to purchase. Whereupon, the store owner (a seasoned old Hong Kong Chinese merchant) informed me that they were all out of stock, in fact everyone was out.

I mentioned that I had seen a few in store fronts on the way here, to which he replied, "they're all the fake ones, you want one of them, go buy it." I purchased a different camera and left.

Another ex&le: I have a Chinese businessman friend who is a watch dealer in Thailand. He does all my work for free because I once wrote him a nice letter of reference so that he could get a tourist visa to the states. He showed me his line of Seiko watches saying: "This one is real and from Japan, this one is made in Hong Kong, this one in ... etc., etc."

I have also seen knock off Rolexes so perfect that there are absolutely no blemishes or rough spots, even if viewed under a 30 power loupe. They have various grades, A, B, C, etc., all fakes.

So, go figure, but don't buy that lens if you know what is good for you.

Best Regards,

Ron Myers
San Diego

Hi Ron,

I am sorry to hear your bad experience in HK. I was born in HK. I understood your story. As what you said that it was late 70s.

My recommendation to people not to go to buy thing to a small shop. You should go to a bigger or famous shop. It is easily to distinct a good shop that she is always crowded with local people. There is always price difference between tourist point.

To be a buy, we also need to have certain knowledge about the product. T* is one of the key point we could not miss. So far, I have never seen any Lens made in Malaysia.

Francis.

"During my recent order of the VS 80-200, the salesman said that the T* coating cost $75 more and that the lenses made in Malaysia didn't have the coating but the lenses made in Japan did. This dealer advertised the lens for $75 less on the internet. With the cost of the "coating", the cost was identical to NY street price. I didn't know any Zeiss lenses were made in Malaysia. Any comments?"

Please tell us all who the dealer is so we can avoid the fool! That's like one of those low-ball deals where the box costs extra. Jack Casner

Back