CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Carl Zeiss Lenses for Other Mounts

bobbytan

If this should happen ..... WOW! It will be the greatest development in photography for a long time, and both Canon and Nikon will focus on FF DSLRs big time! And why wouldn't Zeiss do it, as everybody knows that the market needs some really good wide angle lenses.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

jsmisc

That would be great but I understood that Nikon cannot make a full frame sensor in their cameras because of the small lens throat and this is why they insist on using a smaller sensor albeit with purported good results.
If the CZ lenses have the same mount, I would have thought that there would be the same problem.
Maybe it is a new range of lenses, perhaps AF and a different mount? N?
John

cyclist2

>Interesting that CZ lenses will be available for the Nikon F, as stated in other lists. That's an old Nikon. I have a Nikon F circa 1967. Always was a good camera.

bobbytan

I was thinking and hoping that the new development will be more along the lines of their N-mount lenses. If Zeiss can become a "high end" 3rd party lens manufacturer and make lenses in both Nikon and Canon mounts, that woud be fantastic. Wishful thinking maybe. But who knows!

charliem

aFTER 50 YEARS THE ZEIS CO. HAS DECIDED TO COMPETE WITH THE ORIENT. I THINK I'LL STICK WITH NIKON AND CANON. I ALSO LIKE TAMRON & SIGMA.
I USE NIKON F, FE, CANON D-REBEL, ABD THE 20D. I
DO NOT COUNT MY OLD ZEISS AT ALL.<font color="ff0000">FOR HI-TECH
I' STAY WITH WHAT IS THE LEADER. NOT A HAS BEEN

D

djg

Those dogs, they do the F-mount and not the EOS mount? Who has been buying all their old Contax stock but us Canon users, and this is how they repay us our appreciation?

After owning an ND I feel Zeiss has not been nice to me. Too bad I love their optics.

As for staying with the hi-tech leader, well that's what I did. I got a Canon 1Ds MkII, and got the best optics that would work with it - Zeiss and Leica.

And let's keep things in perspective - the highest tech is not always necessarily the best tech. Automatic transmissions are fine, but you won't see me replacing my 6-speed manual transmission for one of them
crazy.gif

cristian

To John Strain:
You mentioned that Nikon might not be able to make a full frame sensor in their cameras because of the small lens throat. This should not be true since same lenses are used also on film cameras with 24x36mm format? Or am I wrong? (sorry I am not a Nikon user).
On the other hand I understand Nikon claimed they will stick to a format with form-factor of 1,5. Interestening to see if Nikon will maintain this claim with the arrival of EOS 5D and, as I heard, EOS 50D soon, both with full format sensors.
So, my question: the real reason for Nikon's claim to stick to 1,5-form-factor format is made because of their lenses?

D

Denton

>I don't agree it's a lens-throat issue. After all, Kodak has made >the DCS 14n and its replacement, with 14mpx full frame sensors. In >fact, it's Kodak's discontinuation of that camera (I own one) and >Nikon's stated policy that the 1.5 is the new paradigim, that has >caused me to buy a 5D and start selling off my extensive Nikon >system to be replaced with Canon.

fotografz

I'd assume Nikon will solve this ff problem eventually as sensor technology advances and micro lens solutions come into play.

Personally, I liked Nikon gear and even a few of their lenses ( 28/1.4, 85/1.4, 85/2.8 T/S Macro, 105/2 & 135/2DC ). Unlike Canon most of which had aperture rings on them.

But the handwriting was on the wall when Canon launched 1.3X first, then full frame not long after that. It all really annoys me when I think how close Kyocera was with the ff ND and lenses neither Canon nor Nikon could provide. Grrrrrr. ; -(

D

djg

Grrrrrr. ; -( is right. Kind of like walking 990 miles of a 1000 mile journey then giving up and returning without achieving your goal.

jsmisc

Hi Cristian,
I read that this was the reason for the smaller Nikon sensor but I am not sufficiently rechnical to know the why's for it. I think it may be to do with needing enough space to allow the light rays to hit the sensor at a perpendicular angle. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I read the article.
As Denton says, Kodak made a full frame sensor for use with Nikon lenses (and for Canon latterly I think). That is is a good point although I think it did not work very well.
Maybe as Marc says, Nikon will solve it in time.
John

boswellr

I trust that this appropriate for the Canon 5d forum. Which contax (Zeiss lenses) may be mounted on the 5d? I realize that the lenses will not be auto focus, but are there any that will work on the camera?

I am planning on buying a 5D soon.

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi Richard,

you can mount EVERY new Zeiss lens via adapter on a Canon 5D. There are currently only the 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 known to be offered soon. But Zeiss mentiuones in his article, that the are planning many more lenses around for Photokina.

And Zeiss knows about the weakness of Canon in the wideangle area. We have discussed this several times with Zeiss within the last 18 months. So I am expecting more to come specifically in the WA area
happy.gif

bobbytan

Yeah ... most Canon users are really only interested in Zeiss wide-angle lenses, such as the 21mm Distagon. A Zeiss 50 or 85 is not so attractive. Besides, there are rumors that Canon will be releasing a 50/1.2L and/or 85/1.4L. Hopefully it will be announced at PMA or Photokina show this year.

Canon has superb lenses from 135mm and beyond, so there is no need for Canon users to look at Zeiss lenses in the telephoto range.