Carl Zeiss N lens vs. Zeiss G lens

G

I know that N lens is a new design. I have heard about the superb quality of N zoom. Some even said that the rule that fix better than zoom is no more. I am interesting to select between Nx with 28-80 N or G1 with 28, 45, and 90. I am consider about image quality as first consideration. So, I start this thread to allow any person that have use both system to share their experiece between N and G

G

Nut,
if only talking about lenses (and disregarding the differences between the NX and G1 bodies), the G primes are still unsurpassed.

I have both systems and found, that the G primes still have an advantage in image quality (distortion, color reproduction, speed) although the resolution is not so far apart from the 24-85 I have.

Having heard, that the 28-80 has a very good but less outstanding quality than the 24-85, and knowing the difference between the G primes and the 24-85, the G may have some advantages.

It mainly depends, what you shoot, if you ever will need longer than 90mm lenses and how you use your system.

In essence, the comparison is pretty academic: You only will see significant differences in overall quality if you compare shoots made under ideal conditions (lighting, tripod, etc.) on film with the best resolution.

For average slide or negative films, the difference between the lenses is not a real difference. So go choose the system after your needs and don't bother with image quality - both are great!

Christian

G

>

I agree with Christian's comments. The G lenses have a slight edge in quality. However, the 24-85 is very good and there is a noticeable snap to the images an I think there is maybe a tad better color reproduction on the N lens although that is subjective. I find that if I'm staying local and don't mind the weight, I prefer the N system. You see what you get and the zoom is nice. If I'm traveling or want to be inconspicous, I use the G and point and pray wrt the focus.

Chip

>

G

Chip's comments echo 100% mine. I too have this kit, and use it in exacatly the same way. Both 24-85 and the g lenses are great.