DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

VoigtlanderCosina new Contax rangefinder mount body and lenses

G

Voigtlander/Cosina announced new Contax mount body. It will fit most if not all of your existing classic Contax rangefinder lenses. Camera is based on the Voigtlander R2 body (build in meter, frames). Some sneak pics can be seen here:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~sg7s-srmc/sccop1.html

New lenses are 28mm, 50mm, 90,, and previously made: 21mm, 25mm and 35mm. Plus of course an additional trigger winder will also be available.

I think this is very exiting especially for owners of the good classic Zeiss glass but not so excellent bodies. At least this was my case. I got a body and a lens at a bargain but the body started to give up on me and I couldn't afford any extra focal lengths so I had to sell it off. Now I know I could have kept the lens and use the original Contax body as a backup.

Voigtlander/Cosina announced new Contax mount body.

This IS interesting news, Matt. It may well give a boost to used lens values. Jack C.

Hi Matt and Jack!

I just had an interesting talk to a salesman from ringfoto, which distributes Voigtländer in Austria and Germany. He said that the Voigtländer R2C definitifly will be launched. Next week he will ring me up and give more detailed informations. So this is for me as a collector of Contax a real sensation indeed!! Several years I asked at Yashica Hamburg wheater they will bring an adaptor to fit the old Zeiss (and Kiev) lenses at the G1/G2, but they did nott show any interest in that threat.

BTW: three lenses with Contax (Zeiss-Ikon) mount will be launched (others to follow!!): 21/4, 25/4 and 35/2,5.

Regards
Wolfgang

The lenses are already available in the US. There is many more to come.

Matt

"There is many more to come."

Could you please be more specific or is it just not yet the time to announce it?

dirk

Sure thing. When you look at the Voiglander line available for the screw mount cameras you will see range of lenses anywhere from 12 to 90mm. Voigtlander previously released limited amount of lenses in Contax mount which were mentioned (21, 25 and 35). Reason behind it was that people probably have 50mm or a 90mm but wide angle lenses were always to expensive for regular Joe to buy. Now when you look closely at the pics at cosina site you will see Bessa Contax mounted with 28, 50 and there is a 90 there as well. So what you should expect is:
Bessa with Contax Mount (to be released)
21mm (already available)
25mm (already available)
28mm (to be released)
35mm (already available)
50mm (to be released)
90mm (to be released)

Now to speculate Voigtlander has two very interesting lenses one of them is 12mm and another one is 15mm. I think it's just a matter of time before one or another will also be available in the Contax mount.

Matt

these are not contax mount but nikon mount, even though similar, they are for nikon. the two new bodies r2s (nikon) and r2c (contax) and a new 85mm lens on the nikon mount.

My bad. When I read the release they mentioned 2 bodies and 3 lenses (28, 50 and 85 which I confused with 90). There was no indication which mount they will be designed for. I just assumed they will cover both cameras. I didn't know that at first they will only target Nikon S mount.

i nobody of you knows: lux technology of france offers a cheaper 12mm/11 to 22/i guess. its possible that the 22 is integrated in the lens-cap- like the 5.6 in a fantastic 500/4.0 sigma-mirror. unfortunately i have sold it due to lack of money. today this would be a fantastic af-lens with contax ax! above all because my version could not go very near, but with ax its possible. the other fantastic lens could be the old vivitar 450/4.5 series 1 cat. i had the 600/8 and autofocus worked even indoors! although it is said it works only at 5.6 and higher. sorry next time i will post in the lens chapter.

Recently the German Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung did publish some informations abut a new Voigtländer Bessa R2C (FAZ 05.11.02, page T6). The message says (by citing Gerd-Rainer Frost of Ringfoto/Voigtänder) that Bessa R2C shall use the old "Zeiss-Ikon-Vontax-Bajonett", be in the price range of around EURO 1000 and does specificly care to occupy one of the smallest and smartest revival-niches of photography. A 40mm and 80mm lens shall be available from scratch; however the camera is made for those who collect the old Contax I, II and III lenses. Focussing shall work as with Contax II by use of the small finger-wheel ...

That's sounds interesting ... If the Bessa R2C cares about the two different forms of the bajonett-clutch (one for up to 90 mmm and a bigger one starting with the 135 mmm) ...

Back