DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Film suggestions for desert MiddleEast

> Albert,

When you say push one stop, do you mean pushed from the exposed ISO of 50 or from the film rating of 400?

Thanks, Chip>

Chip, When you shoot, set the ISO in your camera to 50. When you process the film, push one stop from the film rating of 400. It is confusing and it does not make sense at first, but it works for compensating the cross processing.In the first trail, you may braket your shots. But I find this setting works pretty well. Also, the Kodak 400TCN has a very litte blue tint while the portra 400b/w has a very little sepia tone. I can not remember the tone of XP2.

Hello,

years ago I tried Ilford XP1 for BW Slides. But the results were not that good :-(
Now I'm thinking about a new try. Already read something about the XP2 Super in E6 prosessing on the web.
I'm wondering if I can expose the film as ISO 25/15° and get it developed without any pushing in E6. Or does the film need the pushing in development for picture clarity, contrast or quality?
Has anyone tried this yet?

Matthias

Also take an incident light meter - I got great results in Egypt using an RTSIII and Kodachrome 25 and K200, but checked my exposures all the time using a meter. There is a great deal of light around in desert settings.

Andy

I've never found Scala to be anything but easy and beautiful, but I'd also take some B&W print film like Delta 100 and 400 and Fuji Acros 100. I also like to have Fuji Neopan 1600 handy -- you never know when you'll be in a low light situation. You have to watch out for excessive contrast in that film, but it's wonderfully sharp and grain is pleasing and not as pronounced as any other fast b&w film I've seen. I find that pictures with it have an interesting photojournalistic look (maybe because of the noticeable but beautiful grain) that alays catches people's eye. It kills Delta 3200 and the fast Kodak.

Re lenses other than your 50/1.8 and your T3 -- I agree that a wide angle is a must. If you don't have it, you could look for the great old Nikkor 24mm f/2.8, frequently on eBay and keh.com for low $200s. A telephoto is also a must, among other things for tighter portraits, for not having to get right in people's faces, and also for the "compression" effect (distant hills - or people on a crowded street -- seeming closer and on top of each other etc).

I'd also be sure to bring a polarizer (all that color and blue sky) and adequate shades (all that sun glare).

Have fun!

One more thought re your spring desert trip: The Bush administrations seem to be determined to start a war. The public hopes it will be local only. But what happens if Iraq bought some allies like North Korea from the evil list or Yemen from current nice lit, or if the Saudis will help some of their neighbours.
The people around Bush announced that they would not hesitate to use nuclear weapons. The effect and counter effect might not be local only. Over two thousand years ago the roman did not care about the destroy of Cartago. Why should the Bush administration be different today? Most people regard Baghdad as a cultural inheritance but do
people in politics too? This could mean that a huge area will be effected, a much bigger than we could imagine today.
My suggestion: stay out of a possible conflict area. Why don't you study and enjoy deserts between Egypt and Morocco?

Back