DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Definitive Carl Zeiss lens listmaybe

grumpoid

Hi all,

There are more than one of these around, but every one I have seen has several errors, so I have tried to produce my own 'definitive' version. I have only listed items which I know 100% to exist. If anyone can fill in gaps, spot any errors, or confirm 100% of the existance of items I have missed, please post a message.

Cheers Steve.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_msexcel.gif
Zeiss C/Y lens list
CARL ZEISS LENS LIST.xls (23.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Hi,

Concerning the definitive list of lenses, it's pretty much spot on. 2 issues - should the 3 versions of the Mutar be included? The other is should we include the rarest of beasts - the superfast CZ prototype lens - I can't now remember whether it was a 400, 500, or 600mm. Unusually for CZ Contax lenses, it was produced in a white housing. One was being sold on ebay about 3 weeks ago and I saw a reference on the web to another one (and indicative price!!!!!!!) within the last week. It would seem there are a few of these about although they were never formally part of the Contax stable. Over to the members for clarification on the exotic prototype. It is also worth noting that there may be some one-off CZ lenses for Contaxes as Oberkochen has always allowed people (for HUUUUGE sums of money) to specify a bespoke lens.

Cheers,

Graham Buxton-Smither

Thanks for that Steve. It is a handy list to have and must have represented a lot of work.
John

Hi,
I've just managed to find the prototype lens reference - it was not as fast as I'd thought. It was the 500 Tele Apotessar f5.6 and it can be had for $18,000 if you look hard enough. It does appear (there seems to be some doubt though) that another prototype C/Y mount lens from Zeiss was a 25mm PC and that at least one was produced.

Graham

Hi Salim,

Thanks for that - that is certainly the lens that was for sale on the US ebay site a couple of weeks ago. Compare the size of that lens with Olympus E-series 300 f2.8 (35mm equivalent 600mm f2.8) - doesn't bear thinking about - hernia-inducing or what from Oberkochen!
Graham

Shouldn't there be another 60mm F2.8 Makro-Planar? The 1:1 modern version, the 60mm F2.8 Compact one is 1:2 macro.

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the replies so far! I wanted to just include production lenses available to the general public, so left out converters and one-off prototypes, otherwise I would also have listed the prototype 18mm f2.8 and 25mm f1.4.
I did list the only two 60mm macro's. The original 60mm 'S' (which is 1:1), which was AE only and the later 'C' compact 1:2 MM version.
Any more info very welcome....
Cheers Steve.

Back