DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Powershot Pro 1

Hola Amigos:
I heve used the Metz 54MZ3 with the 3202 shoe (Canon dedicated) on my Rebel Digital and Elan 7E and works very very nice. Just one tip: for flash bracketing you have to use Metz ev setting, I have not found how to do control that from the Rebel Digital. The unit is heavy but powerful.

I'd give my vote to at 220 with off-camera cord. You can use this for bounce flash and it gives much more flexibility than even the 550 (although obviously less power). You just hold the camera in one hand, and the flash in the other, you can then bounce it right over your shoulder for ex&le. I've been using this setup with my EOS-1v and absolutely loving it. The 550 has stayed at home most of the time recently. No problems with overexposure that I can see, but I don't use it camera-mounted so maybe that makes a difference.

-= mike =-

Hi Pro1 folks -

I don't have an external flash yet, but I tried out a couple of Canon flashes at the store where I bought the camera. I think I will go with 420 on a bracket with the Canon off-camera cord. The 550 is just to bulky for me. The 420 lit up the entire shop at the 28mm setting. If I decidecto get 2 flashes, I will probably go with another 420 for multiple flash shots.

The camera is great. Last weekend I had time to experiment with some of the features. The Super Macro Mode is SUPER. I used to do a lot of macro work for camera club competition and this feature is going to make my day.

I am not a big fan of the digital zoom but this camera has a usable digital zoom. I shot a series of photos from 28mm to 200mm at the marked focal lengths (35mm equiv.) and one at the full 22x digital zoom - 616mm equiv. to 35mm. I would not try to make large prints from shots at this setting, by 4x6 or 5x7 would be OK.

This comming week end I will have more time to try out some of the other features.

I have not tried RAW yet - has anyone used it with this camera?

I have not had any problems with noise or fringing.

Jim

Jim,

It may be different with the Pro-1 compared to the EOS-series SLR bodies, but in general I think you need a 550EX to control a remote 420 slave. You can't do multiflash with just two 420s.

Regards,

-= mike =-

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I will check with my Canon dealer again, but I was told that 2 420's will work together. One nice thing about my Canon dealer - all Canon. And, they do commercial, wedding, and portrait work plus they have a lab for both chemical and digital printing. They will let me set up the equipment in the studio to try it.

I am new to digital photography - only about 2 years as opposed to 50+ with the "old ways".

I am not used to the camera being smarter than I am and doing all my work.

I'll let you know if 2 420's will work.

Jim

Jim,

I'm almost postive that you'll be unable to use just two 420EX's by themselves. Wirelessly, they only operate as slaves, so you'll need a master of some kind, either a 550EX or an ST-E2 transmitter.

Matthew

Power Shot Pro 1
Jim wrote:Under what shooting conditions (lighting, ISO setting, etc) did you get the noise?
It was just after sunrise on the beach and I was using ISO 100 - got noise in the sky and the surf.
I had posted this reply to you earlier, but I don't think it got through. So sorry for the delay.

I am almost sure you will need a 550 to trigger the 420. I have not read anything that says the Pro 1 has the master flash capability to trigger off camera flashes. Its really nice to have the 550 because its so powerful. The 550 420 combo works really well for me.

Eric & Matthew,

Thanks for the input on the flash. I also found out that the 420 does not have variable power. So, I will probably go with the 550 first, then add the 420 later.

Jim

Wendy,

I have not had any noise in any images yet, including those with just the sky for a background.

I have a shot of a jetliner taking off from O'Hare and it is very clear when you consider the haze in the atmosphere in the Chicago area.

If I zoom in on the belly of the airplane using the zoom tool in Photoshop, I can make out detail even in the darkest shadow areas. The picture was shot about 12:15 in the afternoon under a clear blue but hazy sky. The lens was at the max focal length. Of course, the entire bottom of the airplane is in shade, but the detail is there.

I am shooting all my images at ISO 100. I will let you know if I get noise in any future images and theconditions involved.

Jim

Back