DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Powershot Pro 1

Jim,

Here's a bit more info for you regarding wireless master and slave flashes. The Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX and Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX can both be used as wireless masters to trigger 420EX and/or 550EX slave units.

Hope that helps,
Matthew

The big question for me is...... Do I buy the Digital rebel or Pro 1 or..... wait until later this summer or fall for canon to put out another sub 1000.00 digital SLR that will blow away the D70............ I have all canon lenses and a G1 so I am leaning toward waiting......

Eric,

My Canon dealer said there will be a DSLR in the $600-$700 range this year. But, He does not have any details yet.

If you have the lenses, I think waiting for the new body is a good idea. However, the Pro1, due to the size and features, is a great camera for those times when you don't want to be burdened with a big bag of equipment. Tough decision. good luck.

Jim

Jim!
Thanks for the heads up. Since I have a G1 and a new panasonic LC43. I think waiting for the new DSLR is the best choice. It seems I have been waiting for 100 years to buy a DSLR, but now I am glad I waited, I would be slightly bitter if I owned a D30 right now..........

Where do you discuss the Canon powershot G1? I dont even see it on here. Well maybe someone can help me. I have a canon powershot G1 camera, it is a great camera. I have not used it for a while though and forget how to recharge it. I dont have any manuals or anything because I bought it off my uncle. If someone could please help me!It is sprind and I am missing out on great photos!

Thanks alot,
Michael

I don't have a G1 but I have its ancestor, the G2. It's probably the same. There's a little door on the right side as you face the camera. Inside is the port for the USB connetion and the small one is for the charging cord. If you don't have the cord, the battery is a conventional type for which you can buy a generic charger. I originally bought my camera on ebay and it was missing the connecting cord. I picked up a charger at Best Buy.

Hi Michael,
the best thing for you to do is to go to
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/manual.html

That's the official American Canon site for compact DSC. The link above will take you straight to the manual page where you can find both Software and Hardware Guides for your PowerShot G1. In there you will find everything you need to know about your camera...

Hope this helps you...

Well, I finally bought a flash unit. i decided on the 420 to start since the unit does not throw the balance off too much. The 550 is just too heavy (for me). I will probably get a 550 and use it on a flash bracket - later.

I still have not had the time to do any more testing of the features of the camera, but from what I have done so far, I feel that the Pro1 is an excellent choice for those who do not want the bulk/expence of a full size SLR.

One of the features (of any digital camera) that I find little use for is the digital zoom. However, I tried it out just to see what would happen. (So did the guys at my dealer) We were impressed with the results. I supppose that because of the 8 MP chip, that cropping the image in the camera.

The filter holder is a nice touch as you can put filters on easier. I understand they will be available soon as an accessory or a replacement part. I plan to get 4 or 5 and leave them on the
filter.

Hope to get back to shooting pictures in the next week or so. The weather here in has been rather wet and I have not been able to get out.

Jim

I have used Canon SLRs for some years and have a useful collection of EF lenses which I have been hoping to use on a digital body. If sich a body with a full sized ( 35 x 24mm) sensor was available with 8Mp or more resolution and less than £1000.0, no doubt a lot of us would be frightening the bank manager but it still looks a long way off.

I bought a G5 in October 2003 and I`m impressed by the quality of the images it produces but the Pro 1 is now very tempting. I have a couple of queries :-
I live in Wales, UK. The sun does not always shine here and when it does, visibility is sometimes a little misty!!. A polarising filter is very useful for cutting some of the mist.

(1) Can you see the effect a polarising filter has when viewing the scene through the EVF of the Pro 1?

The G5 aperture is limited to f2 to f8. I find this 4 stop range very limiting. When using Tv mode, it is possible to overexpose without being aware as there is no audible warning, the only warning is a visual one on the monotor which I find unreadable in normal daylight.

(2) What is the aperture range of the Pro 1 ?
(3) Do you get an indication of over/under exposure in the EVF >

This is my first contact with a forum, hope I have not Boobed!!

Phil.

Back