DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax RX

Thanks Paul, Those links are perfect, I hadn't noticed that info before. The RX display is just what I was hoping for.

There is so much good info collected here on this site. Thanks too to Dirk for going through the trouble of collecting all this information in one place for us. Amazing site. -Lynn L.

I've got a flash question. In using my RX with the TLA-360 flash mounted off camera on a bracket with the Contax cord that fits in the hot shoe, I'm having repeated problems. Having sent the cord to Contax and getting a replacement cord, I'm now on my second cord and still having problems with the flash firing spontaneously. Sometimes my negatives come back unexposed on the bottom half of the frame. Very strange.

Anyone have similar experience. Thanks. Jeremy

An alternate question: I already have a Metz 40 MZ-3i flash that I use with my Rolleiflex. Is it possible to use that flash on a non-Metz bracket with the RX? I understand the SCA 3802 module goes with the RX but I think that's for mounting directly on the camera's hot shoe, as opposed to a cold shoe on a bracket. Thanks again in advance for any help. Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
there is a sync cable by Metz which allows you to connect the flash to the SCA 3802 module (I can't remember its exact order number, but could verify it if necessary). The module stays on top of the camera whereas the flash itself can be mounted elsewhere, on a tripod or a bracket. The bracket would not have to have a hot shoe, since the flash is triggered by the camera as if it was mounted on it's top. The great thing with that combination is that you don't loose any of the TTL-functions and the communication between flash and camera remains unaffected. If have used this combination very often and with great results.
Hope this helps,
Marc

I bought a new RX earlier this month. I was checking it at home, trying different lenses and going through the manual and so on when the lens release button just fell off. It goes in again, but it is loose, so it falls if you turn the camera.
So much for quality control...The dealer told me to contact Contax directly, and they asked me to send the camera for repair or replacement. I never had the chance to put film in it.
Anyone has had a similar experience?
(By the way, I am happy I bought this one with USA warranty instead of gray market...)

> I bought a new RX earlier this month...

> So much for quality control...The dealer told me to contact Contax > directly,

WHO is this dealer? They should replace it with a new camera immediately. Personally, I would simply return it to them and file a credit card dispute. The only thing you are out is shipping back to them...which you would have to pay for sending it to Contax anyway...but for a dealer to simply pass the buck on a brand new camera is egregious in my book.

Austin

For the record, ikt is Smile Photo Video, from whom I have bought in the past without problems. I agree with you, Austin. I talked to them and tried to convince them that that was the way to go, and then THEY return the defective camera to Contax. When I talked to Contax, however, they told me to send them (Contax) the whole camera with box and papers, and they will repair or replace.
Maybe the credit card complaint was the way to go, but I decided this was the fastest way to get a working camera back...(and yeah, I am a wimp)
Juan

>Maybe the credit card complaint was the way to go, but I decided this was the fastest way to get a working camera back...<

My response would be the same as Austen's. Perhaps the consumer laws are slightly different where you are, but in my country the first recourse is with the dealer, not the manufacturer. I work according to the principle that the point at which a dealer is faced with a customer with a complaint is the best opportunity he will ever have of creating a loyal customer for life.

Alex

Alex you reminded me of something an old horse trainer once told me, 'you don't really know a horse's character until you ask him to do something he doesn't really want to do.' Switch the words 'camera dealer' for 'horse' in that statement and the same thing applies. ;) You learn a lot about them when something goes wrong. -Lynn

Alex,

I dont' know anythign about smiley but comments on photo.net are less favorable.

Let me remind you that you have 30 days from date of purchase to contest a charge IN WRITING.

Be sure to contact contax before the 30 days are up to ensure they will honor the warranty. It could be very well that the camera has been t&ered with and the warranty is void.

Back