DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Something is going on with Zeiss

There are at least two signs of the new system being a film. If you look at the photo of the new cat you can see at the right sde far back a place which allow the back to swing. A couple of days ago Zeiss showed part of the posterior surface of the camera. It has only leather or leather-like and metallic plain surface. These two criteria strongly suggest it to be a film.

There are three things at the right top end of the camera. In a G2 the most lateral botton has serrated edges and is the shuttle release dial. In Bessa the most lateral button has smooth surface and is the film winder lever. Now the new cat has a smooth surface and is relatively small. It is a film winder lever.

Now I really am confused. The Zeiss site has a picture of the 645 and then refers to +1/+4 - and then tells us not to be confused?

Anyone have any ideas? Is this a new mount they are refering to?

One last message from Zeiss before the big announcement:

Neutral color rendition, 1/2000 exposure times, large measuring basis, focus shift within the depth of field, AE lock, distortion under 1% - how does it all fit together? On Sept. 29, 2004 at 3 p.m., we'll show you the solution – where else, but at our booth at Photokina 2004. We look forward to seeing you there. Hall 1.2, booth B040. Opens at 10 a.m.

I found the "focus shoft within the depth of field" interesting to include in thier teaser.

OK final quesses before tomorrow. I am going to be optiistic and say a new Contax G Digital. >

I am happy that Contax is releasing new products but I am quite bothered that there is no Digital SLR or G announcement. In addition, the TVS Digital could use a nice tweak... something as simple as rtune.

All in all, if this is it, I would say it's kind of a sad day. I really would like to see Kyocera get back into the SLR fight with a digital body or leverage their superb optics with a Digi-G.

Something is better than nothing I suppose. The Contaxinfo special edition will be nice! >

I'm withholding opinion until no more chances for additional announcements are possible, THEN I'll vent ...

DJ

This is the official press release of Carl Zeiss as of today.

We will have this week several meetings with Dr. Winfried Scherle, head of the Camera Lens Division at Carl Zeiss AG, and other key people from Zeiss. I am sure that we will have more details afterwards. We will be at Photokina this week and keep you updated as usual.

The most important points in this press release are in my view:

- This is an analog rangefinder, a totally new system, named Zeiss Ikon
- The distribution is done over Hasselblad, not Kyocera
- a digital rangefinder is in the pipeline for this new system
- all lenses are newly designed (no G-lenses in new mount)
- We heard about a certain mount and adapters, but can not go into details yet, as long as it is not confirmed.

---------------------

Oberkochen/Cologne - Germany, 28.09.2004. "Zeiss Ikon" is the name given to the newly designed, film-based range-finder camera introduced by Carl Zeiss at Photokina 2004 (Cologne, Sept. 28 – Oct. 3, 2004). It is not without reason that this name recalls the heyday of the German photo industry. A well-thought out camera system constructed to redefine range-finding cameras is behind the name. The original design indicates that Carl Zeiss succeeded. However, it is the ease of use and the many precision aspects of the camera, as well as the performance of the lens, that emphasize this claim.

We always keep the photographer in focus
Dr. Winfried Scherle, head of the Camera Lens Division at Carl Zeiss AG substantiates the claim: "The idea of the Zeiss Ikon camera is based on a philosophy that focuses on photographers and all their creativity when designing pictures. We extensively analyzed the leading range-finder cameras, looked for and found aspects in need of improvement."

For ex&le, precise focusing and basic requirements for crisp pictures. The Zeiss Ikon camera supports photographers with a uniquely large measuring basis of 75mm. The large measuring basis delivers high precision, particularly for photos in the near range when photographers want to focus on a certain detail in their subject. This is additionally supported by a bright viewfinder image that is approximately 30 percent brighter than the best existing systems as a result of the generously dimensioned optics. Focusing criteria can be significantly better assessed - even under difficult lighting conditions.

The extremely fast shutter speed of 1/2000 seconds opens up an entire new range of possibilities when designing pictures. All functions can be manually set. An intelligent aperture priority is also available to photographers with the Zeiss Ikon camera. It is equipped with an easy-to-use AE lock. This very useful function, particularly for subjects with significant differences in brightness, such as landscapes with bright skies, which are otherwise often under exposed.

User friendly
Anyone who does not constantly use a camera will be happy to have a simple, intuitive system. This is where Zeiss Ikon was systematically constructed to be user friendly. Loading the camera is as easy as with an SLR camera. When selecting the image segment, the frame that best fits the lens focal length is automatically displayed in the viewfinder. The respective objective lens focal length is also shown within this frame. Photographers also receive assistance when they select the correct exposure time or aperture. The actual exposure value (permanent) and the value recommended by the measuring system (blinking) are displayed in the viewfinder window using illuminated diodes. A digital diode is available for each value, twelve in total. The popular exposure correction function is located on the shutter speed knob and can be set without taking the camera away from the eye.

Extensive lens set
Brilliant, true-color, razor-sharp pictures, free from distortion are key requirements in creative photography. Development of this completely new, powerful set of lenses for the Zeiss Ikon camera was geared toward these basic requirements. It comprises a total of seven fixed focal length lenses ranging from a 15mm, ultra wide angle up to an 85mm portrait tele-lens. Thanks to standard lens mounts, these can be used with practically all standard range-finding cameras and are also suitable for digital photography.

Carl Zeiss also paid particular attention to minimal focus shift when developing the lens. The term describes the phenomenon of the focal plane wandering when the diaphragm is adjusted. With Zeiss Ikon lenses, this effect is so strongly reduced that it remains within the depth-of-field range and does not affect the quality of the picture.

Uniform and neutral color rendition was also listed in the Carl Zeiss function specifications given to developers and engineers. Based on knowledge gained from developing lenses for the movie industry and special ZEISS patents in this area, Carl Zeiss succeeded in achieving perfect color matching throughout the entire lens set, enabling each lens in the set to feature a uniform color characteristic.

The lens diaphragm consisting of 10 blades is equipped with a third-step click-stop, enabling particularly precise exposure.

Programmed quality
When it comes to processing quality and expected product life, customers place high demands on products from Carl Zeiss. In order to achieve this during production of the Zeiss Ikon camera, tolerances on the housing and all mechanical interfaces between the camera and lens lie in the range of a few micrometers. Extensive tests, such as shock, vibration, cold, heat and moisture are carried out in the Carl Zeiss environmental laboratory and the performance of the system under all realistic conditions is checked. A protocol is created that guarantees maximum quality and long life expectancy – beginning in production.

Worldwide availability
Long-time Carl Zeiss partner, Victor Hasselblad AB (Sweden), will take over worldwide (except Japan) distribution for the Zeiss Ikon camera system. "Distribution of the Zeiss Ikon system required a partner with years of experience in high-quality cameras and who boasts a worldwide sales network. We are very pleased to have found such a partner in Hasselblad. A unique basis of trust exists as a result of the long-lasting partnership with sophisticated medium format systems which both companies view as an important requirement for success," explains Dr. Winfried Scherle on the decision to select Hasselblad.

Focused on the future
Four lenses – 50mm Planar f/2 ZM, 35mm Biogon f/2 ZM, 28mm Biogon f/2.8 ZM and 25mm Biogon f/2.8 ZM – will be available after Photokina 2004. The actual camera will be in stores in early 2005 followed by three additional lenses which will round out the line: Biogon 2.8/21 ZM, Distagon 2.8/15 ZM and Sonnar 2/85 ZM. The lenses have already been developed taking into account the special requirements of a foreseeable digital camera and can be used with all common range-finder cameras – both digital and analog.

This is an image of the camera:

287993.jpg

Having invested in a G2 with 16, 21, 28, 35, 45 and 90mm lenses I don't think I'll be bothering for a while.

Back