DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which filters for my G2

wergin

I am trying to put together a rather complete photo system based on two G2 bodys. I shoot mainly portraits, landscapes and monuments/architecture when on vacation. What set of filters would you recommend for both B&W and color photography? As I own the 21, 28, 45 and 90mm I wouldm have to buy the respective filters in 55 and 46mm versions.
Thanks for your advice, Yours Clemens

I'd start with some or all of these:

Linear polarizer
Warming filter (81 A or B)
Yellows--22&23
Reds--25&29

For filters you might not use often (e.g., the 29) you can use a 55mm for all lenses by getting a 46-55 stepup adapter. This will save you from having to buy two of everything.

>Thanks Rick, do you use the 81 A or B only for landscapes in color or also >for other purposes? The Red 29 seems to be pretty strong stuff, in what >situations would you use that? Yours Clemens

Hi Clemens,

I'll use warming filters when shooting in open shade, especially in mid-day with a northern light source, which tends to be cold/blue. This is most useful for portraits in maintaining skin tones.

Also, warming filters are handy for shooting at higher altitude, where it seems that most E6 films trend towards a blue cast.

I find the 29 is useful for dramatically darkening skies, as well as for shooting UV film. It doesn't get a lot of use, to be sure, but when you need it, it's quite handy.

Best regards,

--Rick

Any one:
Do you use UV filters in studio lighting??

Or do you recommend no filters at all?????

sincerely,

Steve

>I used to use filters on my lenses but have stopped doing so because it >just adds two more air/surface interfaces to reduce contrast. If you don't >shoot under bad conditions, I think you get the most out of your glass by >keeping it free of filters.

I agree with Jeffery,

Use filters only to achieve special effects or to remove an unwanted light characteristic (e.g., off-color, glare). A lens does best when there's nothing between it and the subjict.

--Rick

Hi

I agree 100 %. Dont use Filters, if there is no sense making reason. With todays lenses and their coating it is absolutely not necessary to use UV- and similar filters. It would be a pity for the fine lenses.

Hans Villars, Switzerland

Back