DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sony Alpha 1 Freezing while turning on wifi

NickFoto

Hi all,

There was a thread on DPReview about the A1 freezing on WiFi standby. To cut a long story short, this has also happened to my A1. Like the OP, WiFi was working flawlessly for months - I was using it with FTP as part of what I thought to be an efficient workflow.

Whilst shooting a sport event using the WiFi FTP workflow, things started to fail, I couldn't transfer via FTP and the camera locked up. Had to take the battery out to restart it. It happened again, then I switched batteries and it wouldn't connect to Wifi after that but I was able to finish the shoot. Thinking it could have been a whole range of things I tried different memory cards, batteries, lenses, removed the battery grip, re-initializing, but nothing would work and eventually the camera would lock up even just playing back images. Eventually I put it into Airplane mode and never switched Wifi back on. Camera still does everything else except connect to Wifi and it will lock up on WiFi standby. Tried firmware v1.32 last week to see if that would help but nope, same problem.

It is still under warranty so I am waiting for the right time to send it for repairs. I am kind of worried they will not repair it or replace it and offer a refund instead (which would not be ideal as I got it for a good deal and now they're more expensive).

Has anyone discovered a miracle cure or had any further experience with the repair? Especially if you are in Australia? Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

For those interested, I lodged a warranty repair claim for the issue. Sony acknowledged the issue straight up and booked it in for repair. It was sent to the authorised repairer in Sydney - Sony arranged and paid for shipping. The repair centre had it for a week and replaced the main board. All in all a good outcome. I had anticipated being without the camera for a few weeks or months so I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived back.

Back