DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

2005 Contax Predictions

Well, as some of you know, I shot some images using a 1DsMKII and N-lenses to test the Zeiss N17-35/2.8 verses the Canon 16-35/2.8L. Most agreed there was no contest. Edge sharpness, color rendition, etc was all superior with the Zeiss,

I have what may be a simple solution. The N mount and EOS mount are very close in size. The N lenses almost work already.
When I placed the N lens inside the Canon mount and held it there I DID achieve infinity focus.

SOLUTION: engineer a new mount for the Canon camera NOT an adapter. There are just 4 screws holding the actual lens mount to the Canon. A good engineer and machine shop could do this pretty easily.

Caveat: because the N lenses are electronic aperture controlled, all lenses would have to be shot wide open all the time. Which is okay with me because that's what I mostly do with wide angles anyway. I would simply dedicate my 1DMKII to use with Zeiss wides like the 17-35/2.8 or 24-85/3.5 and leave it at that (Canon wides suck)

Unless a data bus could be incorporated into the set-up, aperture control and AF are lost.

The other solution I am looking at is to get a adapter to use either the Contax 645 or Hasselblad Zeiss glass on the Canon 1DsMKII. I think the Hasselblad to Canon EOS already exists.

Marc,

I use the 18mm, 21mm MM distagons, the 28-85 Vario Sonnar and the 50 1.4 Planar on the 1DII. They work at ALL apertures with light metering!

Are N lenses so much better to justify an N-mount 1DII working only at full aperture?

Asher
happy.gif

Well not really, but I already have the N lenses and use them on an N digital and N-1 which I don't want to get rid of. Plus the N17-35 has such a deep DOF at 17mm I rarely stop it down much the way I shoot with it.

The 21 distagon is impossible to find so far.

I am interested in the 28-85mm Sonnar because I absolutely hated the Canon 24-70/2.8L ... but I am curious how you do focusing the Contax on the AF screen of the Canon? I already have an adapter, and tried the 28-70mm which was a nightmare for quick manual focusing on my 1DsMKII. Did you swap out the Canon focusing screen?

The Ec-B screen with split prism focusing (just like old times) will fit all EOS1 bodies including the 1Ds2 and makes focusing the MF stuff much easier.

Hi Marc,

I focus all contax lenses with my 1DII using the standard screen. I find there is no issue at all for landscapes or still life.

In social situations where one would be interfering to ask people to stop so you can focus and use the widest aperture, these lenses are more of a challenge.

I have successfully used the 28-85 Vario Sonnar in a dim restaurant where the subject was in a relatively fixed location. However, under social pressure, a 35 1.4L (perhaps the best or equal to the best 35 1.4 made) or the 24-70 2.8L or the 50 1.4 or 50 2.5 Macro (a stunning lens!) are better chosen.

I plan to add a 35 1.4L to my collection or else the 24-70 2.8L for socially pressured fast moving situations for people photography.

The 21mm Distagon is a pretty good walk arounf lens and really great for group shots.

I wish it was 1.4, LOL!

I ordered it in October 05 from B&H. When it arrived in Jan 05, I'd so forgotten about it! It was probably the last 21mm Distagon B&H delivered!!

I use a diopter correction to make sure I can see to focus. I am planning to change to a split field viewfinder prism glass, which people say is very helpful in a quiring focus manually.

I believe that there is no perfect solution, but mine is evolving. I become more adept at manual focus. Brings back my Kodak Retinette 1B days for 35mm and a longing for the huge bright prism of my Bronica 6cmx6cm.

Once one decides to use say Canon autofocus (24-70 2.8L or the primes, 35 1.4 plus 50 2.5 Macro), then there is no longer any mental conflict.

For models outdoors, I use the 70-200 2.8L IS or the 50 2.5 Macro, since autofocus allows fluidity.

In a controlled studio environment, I'd also use the Zeiss 50 1.4 Planar to look for a different lens effect, but otherwise, IMHO, Contax lenses are not needed. Still, i'd love to have the longer Zeiss lenses too if money was no object.

BTW, can anyone tell me whether and which Mutars can be used with Zeiss MM lenses (mine are listed in my previous post).

Thanks,

Asher

Thanks Gary. That's what I will do ... order the replacement split prism screen for both 1DMKII and 1DsMKII. I assume it still has the AF designations?

I have two NDs, and one of them came with a split prism which I do love. It really tells you if the AF nailed it or not. Sometimes the AF doesn't, and you can redo it or touch it up manually.

Asher, I have, and extensively use, all the Canon lenses you mention... and many more. The 35/1.4L is indeed a stellar performer, but I would not go as far as designating it equal to a Leica M35/1.4 ASPH, or a manual Zeiss 35/1.4 because of it's barrel distortion compared to those two lenses.

Concerning the Canon 24-70/2.8L: obviously it enjoys the advantage of Canon's unmatched AF, but after that it was a disappointment for me... so I sold it. It is huge and unwieldy, suffers from flare, and the shade mount ring is poorly designed (mine snapped off during a wedding shoot, as did a friend of mine's). It also suffers from barrel distortion to a greater degree than any of the Zeiss zooms I have tested. That's why I have ordered the Zeiss 28-85/3.5-4 to replace it.

Back