DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Summicron 50mm f2

G

I just bought this lens and shot two rolls, but the result is not satisfactory -- not sharp as my Nikon or even Minolta, especially wide open. The serial number is 3572478. Has anyone got any exprience about this lens? Thanks first.

Dear Allan,

If the results are as you say, the lens should go to Solms or try a higher shutter speed.

I had a similar problem with my new 1:4/35-70 Vario-Elmar-R and when returned to the factory needed its lenses centered.

If it were mine I would send it to Leica Camera AG Service Department attention Gerald Wagner.

Let us know what happens.

Justin

Return that lens. The 50mm Summicron is the sharpest lens around in 35mm land and you should get a noticeable improvement over your nikon and minolta lenses.

According to some MTF measurements available on the web, the Nikon 24/2.8 is far better than the Leica Elmarit R 24/2.8 or the Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8.

What are your thoughts on this?

the Nikon 24/2.8 is far better than the Leica Elmarit R 24/2.8 or the Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8.

The Proof is in the pictures....

Different lenses have qualities that can be used for a particular style of picture. MTF may be a useful tool for designers, but it is not the only criteria for choosing a lens.

the code # 11221,11257 and 11331 Elmarit-R 2.8
were made by Minolta, both design and elements and Leitz did some of the assembly. I would call them average.Pete

I thought this was a 50mm 'cron thread? Anyway, I started using the latest version about 3 weeks ago and am very impressed with the results. I only got it because I had money left on an order when I got a M6ttl and 35mm 'cron, but have actually used the 50 more than the 35.

Having a good set of Leica M lenses (21 2.8 asph/28 2 asph/35 2 asph/50 2/50 1 noctilux/90 2 apo asph), I can say the 50mm summicron is the best lens I own. I use it as an all around lens, shoot 70% of time with this lens, in every light condition, at every shutter speed, every aperture and it performs greately evry time. If the lens doesn't produces sharp images or images without a good contrast IMO it's a problem of the single lens in question. Send it to assistance. Taking apart the Noctilux, wich is another kind of lens with specifical purposes, the 50mm summicron is one of the best lens Leica produces.

Can anyone tell me whether I'll get the same results from a Canadian Summicron f2 50mm as I will from the same lens made in Germany.

Thanks
Graeme

Hi Graeme,

normally all lenses have the same quallity, when the lenses have the same optical design. But later lenses from Leica should be better in komparison to older lensdesigns.

good light, Thomas

Back