DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Summicron 50mm f2

Graeme questions: Can anyone tell me whether I'll get the same results from a Canadian Summicron f2 50mm as I will from the same lens made in Germany.

You'll possibly get better results with the Canadian Summi, as you will be happy that you paid slightly less for an identical lens, (except for the engraving.)

Sonny, (who lived in Wetzlar, and owns Canadian Summicrons)

Dear Sonny,

In thirty five years I have never been able to distinguish the difference in either optical or mechanical quality; and the same with picture taking.

Enjoy your Canadian Summicrons and forget the collectors' snobbery.

Regards,

Justin

I bought my f2 Summincron in '69 along with a Focomat Ic enlarger and the bits to use the 'cron as an enlarging lens. A great combination. The f2 makes setting up the exposure so much easier than a traditional f4.5 enlarging lens.

Some years later I contemplated buying a lens just for the enlarger, and suggested using a camera lens as enlarger lenses seemed so much more expensive (I didn't reveal my then current set-up). The knowledgable photoshop owner replied "That's because enlarger lenses have to take the heat. The glue that sticks the elements together in conventional lenses deteriorates and the lens elements separate. Never use a camera lens in an enlarger!". The as an afterthought he added "Except for Leica lenses. They CAN take the heat."

I never did buy that enlarger lens.

can somebody tell me the difference between regular Summicron 2/50mm and the new '50 Jahre' model except for their appearance.

thanks!

> can somebody tell me the difference between regular Summicron 2/50mm > and the new '50 Jahre' model except for their appearance. > From everything I have read, the optics are identical between the regular 50/2 and the 50 Jahre special edition. The only difference is the construction of the housing, resulting in a totally different appearance. So you can get a 1950's style Summicron with 2000's optics and coatings, all for only twice the price of a regular Summicron :) Personally, I think the new Summicron 50th anniversary would look great on a sliver MP - that would be my ideal 'retro' combination...

- marc

> Personally, I think the new Summicron 50th anniversary would look > great on a sliver MP - that would be my ideal 'retro' combination...

Marc,

And would look even better on the M6J.

Lucien

Inviting Comments On The Following:

50mm Summicron F/2 (1969-1979). Made in Germany.

I looked at this lens the other day. It has barrel focusing instead of the tab and seemed more solid and smooth in focusing than its Canadian counterpart.

The serial # was 2585075. Not sure how late in the production run this lens was...possibly mid to late 70's?

I would appreciate feedback from photographers who have experience with the performance and/or reputation of this lens. I also welcome recommendations on other 50/summicrons.

This is an old Type Summicron 50 which is made 1973 a good Lens but the later type’s are optically much better.

I sold my old one and bye the later type, really much better!

Best Regards

eric

Inviting Comments The Following:

50mm Summicron F/2 (1969-1979). Made in Germany

====================================================

At the risk of stating a flame-war, ANY clean, undamaged Summicron is and excellent lens. I sincerely doubt that 90 % of the "Summicron partisans" could identify a print 11"x14" or smaller made with any particiular generation of those lenses.

> I'm with Photo Phreak here. ALL the 50 Summis are excellent lenses EVEN the > collapsible original. Each of the computations has been the benchmark lens > of its time, and while they all will exhibit different traits and provide > different atmospheres in their images none of them is to be sneezed at.

Back