DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Rules of thumb for compositionexposure

saspencr

I have heard about some including the rule of thirds and sunny 16. What other rules are useful when considering composition/exposure? Thanks, Scott

> What other rules are useful when considering composition/exposure?

The only rule is that their are no rules !! Seriously , the rule of thirds are a useful back up , but many great pics break the so called rules . So use whatever works - for exposure too , sometimes a bit over or under can make a big difference..... Steve

> Another useful rule is to try not to shoot at a shutter speed that is slower than your focal length. So if you are shooting with a 100mm lens try not to shoot at less than 1/100th of a second.

michael.

Thanks, Stephen, I understand the rules are meant to be broken. Maybe that is a rule in itself. ;) But they are helpful to know. Before I can break them, I should learn them and hope it helps to develop an eye for composition.

Thanks, Michael for yours. Do others have any?

Another rule (connected somehow with f/16) is the following:

Northern side of clear blue sky 45 degrees above horizon at noon is middle-grey.

I use it occasionally to check, when in doubt if my exposure meter is sti= ll accurate, but more often as a reference point, when shooting objects whic= h are far from middle grey, for ex&le snowscapes in bright, sunny days - = just point your camera at sky, AE-lock exposure, compose, and shoot.

My own modification of the above is this: although with this procedure yo= u obtain middle gray objects middle gray on your slides, but sunlit snow, w= hich is more than 3 f-stops brighter than middle-grey, is washed-out. To make = it look nicer, I underexpose the sky by 1 f-stop. This makes the sky really = deep blue and middle grey objects (trees, people, etc.) underexposed, but when= the main subject of your picture is snowy landscape, it looks ok. So my own r= ule for shooting snowscapes is:

Dial -1 f-stop exposure compensation, point the camera at sky (not necess= arily at north, but away from the Sun, horizon and clouds), AE-lock exposure, compose, and shoot.

For me works, esp. in the mountains, so well, that I stopped bracketing, = since I'm pretty sure my slides are exposed just as I want them to be. I wish I= had a spot meter in my camera, since when the sky is partly clouded and I use= a wide angle, it becomes tricky to get rid of clouds when metering...

> Northern side of clear blue sky 45 degrees above horizon at noon is> middle-grey.So my own r= ule for shooting> snowscapes is:

Not sure if that works here in the Southern hemisphere , but then we dont usually have to worry much about snow....... Anyway , another similar trick is to meter off grass [the bright green lawn coloured variety] - I do this quite abit and it works fine ..... Steve

I found a couple of websites that are very helpful.

The first explains how to systematically figure out a correct exposure without a meter. http://www.fredparkerphotography.com/ultexp1.htm

The second one explains how to know what size lens is needed to capture the subject. http://www.fredparkerphotography.com/vislize.htm

There is lots of useful information out there, just a matter of finding it huh? Hope this helps and I hope others will feel free to add useful information on this thread.

Back