DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Tom Abrahamssonbs Softie

> Justin, I'm thinking of trying the softie for my M6, but do you find that the camera is more prone to being triggered accidentally when you put it in your bag. Considering there's not off switch on the mechanical cameras, I guess the only other way is not the wind after each shot, but before. comments?

Hi, I am reading the Softie discussion for a while now and like to add something, I fear, not very qualified - but don't you think that softie just looks so ugly on that beautiful M cameras?

>If you only want to look at your camera, you don't need a softie. If you >want to use it, the softie will give you the ability to take photos at >slower shutter speeds.

Tina

>

I actually think the softie looks perfect on an M. I have a silver one on my silver M7 and when it comes off, as it does once in a while, I think the M7 looks less finished, like an integral part has fallen off. Also, I had a red one on my black M6 and it was as cute as a button ;-) I just wish I could get an olive green one for the Safari...

As for the function, well, yes it works! Even when shooting at faster shutter speed, it helps me with the exposure lock on the M7 and on the R8, it imakes it easier and faster somehow.

Oh, and I found the mini-softie to be less satisfying, both aesthetically and functionally, so I use the full size, original version.

Cheers! - marc

Dear Christopher,

If the colour of the Softie matches the colour of the camera it is almost unnoticeable.

Justin

Dear Justin
Thank you, I think you are right, I have just seen the pink one on a black M7, that indeed didn't look good. Maybe I try a black one.

funny how a discussion on function always end up a discussion on form in this forum. for goodness' sake, if tom called it as plain as "softrelease" then it must have been made to release the shutter softly, not to look good on your camera. in fact if you visit tom's site, you will not see words like "gorgeous, stunning elegant or attractive" to describe the thing. for conservative people, there's gloss or matte black for black bodies or chrome for chrome bodies or titanium for titanium bodies. and for those who doesn't take leica life damn too seriously, he even made funky colours like green, blue and purple. maybe, he even made those colours to serve as an ice breaker when you actually use the camera to shoot outside your homes. makes the guy behind the camera look more like a "friendly" clown than a "brooding-threatening" serious photographer.

Ithink the variety of colors are made available fot those who want to code a camera using color film in contrast to another camera using black and white. For companies having several photographers, each one can color code the camera they normally use.Don't you have a favorite color? Mine is orange. So far Tom hasn't made one that color.

They should be considered a "STANDARD" accessory on any of the M-cameras as far as I'm concerned!

Melvin... of course it'll be a bit more prone to being released. It's like a hair trigger on a shooting pistol! Crazy-glue the shutter release and it'll NEVER go off. (Just kidding!:>))

Tina... well put! :>)

Abrahamsson Softie: Double Thumbs up from this user!

Cheers

Back