DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica CM with the same lens as the Minilux

old_admin_CI

... we have no official information yet, but it seems that the lens in the new Leica CM will be the same as in the Minilux. It is at a least a 2.4/40. The Leica CM sems to be an improved version of the Minilux, but is it too early to judge without any prooven specs in our hands...

Maybe somebody else knows more about it...

Does anybody know whether there will also be a new Minilux Zoom (Leica CM Zoom)?

The specs are looking good! (courtesy of photo.net)
-Top speed 1/1000
-Improved viewfinder (possible that aperture and speed in the finder)
-18% smaller than Minilux
-Hot shoe for external flash (Work with the SCA flash adapter 3502 of M7 and R9). There are reports of a new flash SF24D
-Manual focusing with three leds (2 arrows and one dot)
-Made in germany
-Available mid november 2003.

If it accepted filters that would pretty much clinch the deal for me.

The specs are looking good! (courtesy of photo.net)
-Top speed 1/1000
-Improved viewfinder (possible that aperture and speed in the finder)
-18% smaller than Minilux
-Hot shoe for external flash (Work with the SCA flash adapter 3502 of M7 and R9). There are reports of a new flash SF24D
-Manual focusing with three leds (2 arrows and one dot)
-Made in germany
-Available mid november 2003.

Better picture:
http://www.leica-camera.com/discus/messages/22/16668.jpg

If it accepted filters that would pretty much clinch the deal for me.

The faster shutter speed is most welcomed. I just hope that they did not drop the aperture-priority mode, as on the Minilux Zoom - that makes the camera much more useful to me. And a flash shoe! How brilliant!!!

Thanks for the extra info, - marc

Marc:

They did not drop aperture-priority, it also allows for manual aperture setting and focus.

Leica posted the camera today on their website including specifications and views of all sides.

Regards
Gilbert

Hi there......

any idea about the price and disponibility for Europe?. I'm very interested
happy.gif

Thanks in advance.

I love the look of the CM, but I'm struggling to find the major advantages over the Minilux. I heard that the CM is ~$1000 USD, whereas a Minilux can be had for about 40% of that figure.

So far I see the 1/1000 shutter speed and the external flash shoe as big advantages, and the shiftable program mode as a small but useful change. Other than that, it is just the cosmetics that make me think I'd want this over my Minilux.

Also, the specs say the CM is passive AF - I believe the Minilux is active AF. Can anyone confirm or deny this? The Leica site does not indicate this detain on the Minilux pages.

Cheers! - marc

From the Leica web site, I can still see the active AF IR emitter / receiver, so if your information about passive AF is accurate, it could be like the Contax G2, use hybrid AF to take the benefit of both world.

'I'm struggling to find the major advantages over the Minilux' -marc

I guess it depends on what features you use most. To me, all of the new features are totally obvious, major advantages over the minilux. Better viewfinder, faster shutter, hot shoe.... pretty significant! Not just a slight mode of the mini. These are all features I wanted when I had the minilux so, when it died, I replaced it with T3. Too bad no filter compatability though. I would want to use it for B&W and filters would make it that much more versatile. Though I haven't seen a picture of how the lens retracts into the body, you think they could develope a simple slip on adapter system, for use when the lens is extended.

Back