CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Close Up Shots

C

clarktmc

What lens do I need to be able to shoot close up shots with a D100. I have a Nikon 24-120mm Nikon 12-24mm and Tamron 28-300mm RX. It seams when I try to shoot close up I can't get close enough to focus clearly. Any Help would be great.

lnbolch

Without doubt the best solution is the 60mm or 105mm Micro-Nikkor. Both are designed specifically for the task. However, both work extremely well as general purpose lenses and are perhaps the sharpest lenses of their focal lengths available for 35mm or digital cameras.

Considering the 1.5x magnification factor of the D100, the 60mm version would be the equivalent of a 90mm - a tad long for my taste, but still a very useful lens. I might add that I have shot with the manual version - the 55mm Micro-Nikkor - for decades as both my primary lens for small product photography and as my normal lens. It has been absolutely superb in both roles.

If you are willing to take considerably diminished performance, there are also extension tubes made by Nikon and third parties that will provide closer focusing, Bellows that allows for very high precision are available from Nikon as well.

If simple and cheap is a consideration, there are also close-up lenses that do a reasonably adequate job and work with any lens. The fit on just like filters on the front of the lens. They are available in a variety of strengths, and are often sold as sets. They are available from all the common filter suppliers. I notice that Hoya does have a multi-coated set.

Hope this provides direction in finding a solution.

larry!

huck

Thomas,

You may be able to pick up some close up filter lenses that work with various lenses. I have the Nikkor 70-300mm AF-D ED lens and picked up a Nikon 5T and 6T lens. These are actually filter rings with a diopter lens installed that allows my 62mm threaded lens to work as a macro. You can stack them to get additional magnification, which is an advantage of purchasing a couple of them. There are other manufacturers out there and Nikon also makes them for 52mm filter threads. They (the Nikon ones) are only $30 (52mm) or $46 (62mm) each, which is a lot less than a dedicated macro lens. Give them a try to see if you like macro work. If you want to get more into it, then you can invest into a true macro lens. Otherwise, you could be spending a ton of money for a lens that you may use only sporadically. This way, if you don't find macro work to be something you'd like to do a lot of, then you are out less than $100 and still have them on the off chance you need it. Be aware that these close up lenses don't match the quality of a true macro lens, but they do a very good job. The main advantage of them is you can use them on your existing lens and not have to lug a macro lens around in the gear bag.

If you want to get into macro work, a dedicated macro lens is definately the way to go. The 60mm would be a 90mm equivalent with the D100 and the 105mm would be158mm equavalent. The dedicated macro lens can also be used as a prime lens too, so it does serve more than one purpose. A longer focal length allows you to stay further away from skittish subjects (bugs or small animals), while the shorter lens would allow you to move in closer. You need to decide what you will like to shoot (flowers vs. animals) and make your purchase appropriately.

Enjoy, Dave

brandtwpastor

I have a tamron 28-200 and a set of three extension tubes (12, 20 and 36mm) from vivitar (~$100.00) that has worked for me.

hotrats49

Thomas,

As a long time user of close up equipment, I agree with Larry and would prefer one of the Micro-Nikkors for critical work. But as David said, it depends upon what you want to do and perhaps for your purposes 5T and/or 6T attachment might work well. My wife and I have used the 55mm f3.5 and 55mm f2.8 Micro-Nikkors for over twenty years for close up shots and general photography. The 105mm f2.8 is better if you need more distance between yourself and the subject. Another note: the manual focus versions only go to a reproduction ratio of 1:2 without the use of extension tubes. The AF 60mm f2.8D and AF 105mm f2.8D both go to 1:1 without additional tubes. However, because the AF versions are highly optimized for close up work, they seem to suffer a bit at infinity focus. The manual focus versions seem to be a bit better at infinity focus. In spite of such quibbles, all of the Micro-Nikkors are among the best optics made by Nikon.

Good luck!

polizonte

For a little beyond 1:1 repro, has anyone used one of the 2 element Nikon T close-up accessories with the 60mm f2.8? I would imagine there might not be enough working distance, maybe <1" ?