DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Need advice on telephoto lens selection

loosing focus towards the camera from the focal point is something i fall foul of all too often. Now I realise I am doing it (a recent discovery) I shall watch out for it as i do with the plane of focus going away from the focal point.

Great shots as usual Marc.

I would be interested to know what camera bodies these pics were taken with.

Antony

Antony:

#1 Canon 1DsMKII with Zeiss 85/1.2 60th Anniv; available light

#2 Leica DMR/9 with R90AA; Hensel Ring-Light

#3 Hasselblad H2D/22 with HC150/3.5; Available light filled by Profoto Mono head and umbrella.

Part of 200 commercial images shot for a Medical Spa and Salon last Sunday.

439435.jpg

How about this one ? You could tell me if any of the photoshop CS2 technique should be applied to this shot.

Well, I am going for holiday lasting for 8 days, hopefully I will be able to show you people some nice shots. Cheers.

Chi

I suspect your monitor is not calibrated as the picture has a strong green cast. I just calibrated my monitor with the Gretag eyeone photo so I think mine is in pretty good shape. Also I think the saturation is a bit strong. If this was shot raw I would try to recover some of the highlights. there are sections of the image that look blown out.

Hope this helps
Woody Spedden

Chi,

On my monitor, there is no green cast. The images is lovely ... maybe a bit to contrasty and looks a little bit over sharpened. However; overall, a nice shot!

Michael.

I can see some yellowish-green cast in the lower face (lighter skin colors) AND a bluish-magenta cast in the darker areas? Could be a combination of white-balance and over-saturation / contrast?

I for one can't criticize as I like over-saturated / contrasty to a lesser / larger extent depending on subject, portraits tending to a lesser and landscapes to a larger (sometimes ludicrous) degree. But I do find that if the white balance is good, the image will over-saturate gracefully for a pleasant zing. A bad white-balance will show suspect colors that will look more out of place as the saturation increases (surprise!!).

But it's a very nice portrait to start with, as Michael points out, and that's the important part
happy.gif
... the rest you can play around with until you get a nice result.

"I can see some yellowish-green cast in the lower face (lighter skin colors) AND a bluish-magenta cast in the darker areas? Could be a combination of white-balance and over-saturation / contrast?"

I can see this too and agree with DJs analysis. For what it's worth
wink.gif

Alan, going back to the original thread - I tried out the Zeiss 300 with the MutarII shot fully open. The 'standard' pic is taken on an E-1 with the standard lens at 54mm. I've marked the area for the 2 pics taken with the Zeiss lenses on the E-1. The 'distant' shot is 2.5 miles as the crow flies. Not bad considering all the glass elements involved - mind you at that distance, a good tripod helps just a little... Sorry about the heavy compression.
Cheers.
439447.jpg
439448.jpg
439449.jpg

I think the best thing is to specifify the colour spaceBThe portrait was scanned with Adobe colour space with the monitor set at the same space in my Apple it looks alright but When I looked at it in other monitorCit is full of casts with different coloursB

Back