DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Vivitar 80200 45 How does it compare to CZ

G

A budget alternative to the CZ 80-200 zoom
is the Vivitar 80-200 4.5 which is very cheap
(about 150 Euro/Dollars)

Has anyone tried one ?
Is it even remotely comparable to the CZ zoom ?

/Per

if you have zeiss you need not compare to any other lens. its the best! dont compare bottles with diamonds.

I would not recommend the new Vivitars, which do not have the reputation of the older Vivitar Series I lenses. For years, I used a Vivitar Series I 70-210 on my Olympus OMs, and when I finally got a Zuiko equivalent, I found it no better than the Vivitar. I would suggest that you look for one of the old Series I lenses,which I have seen going for less than 200 US in excellent-plus condition, or get a Tamron Adaptall. I have Tamron zooms, including the 28-80 SP and the 35-135, which I use on my Arias when I don't find the Zeiss primes convenient (not often enough to justify paying Zeiss prices) and I have serious doubts that you could find a MAJOR difference in image quality compared to a Zeiss zoom. Note that I said MAJOR.

Thanks Barry.
How old are the Series I lenses ?
The one in question for me is about 8-10 years
old (but unused).

The original Series I lenses dated from the period of 10-20 years ago; the one you mentioned in your initial post is not a Series I unless it is so marked. The Series I one I had was purchased in about 1990, new, and had a variable maximum aperture of f2.8-4.0, a maximum magnification of 1:2.5X and cost (I still have the box, but sold the lens when I got out of the OM system in favor of Canon autofocus) $259.95. I hope this helps. Incidentally, don't ignore the older Tamron Adaptalls I mentioned. If you want a new lens,they still make an excellent one, the 70-210 f3.5 macro, which is sold at the larger houses such as B&H in New York City, for about $375.I have never had a bad Tamron lens, which is more than I can say for any other independent brand...

Oh, Per, I found a Kodachrome slide I took with the Series I during a trip to New Mexico in February, 1990. The shot is from Acoma (Sky City), a pueblo located high atop a mesa, toward the mesa where tribal legend says they originally lived until a lightning storm brought down the only route up.
57535.jpg

You will notice that the scan is imperfect; I have yet to be able to scan Kodachrome and achieve anything close to the original without a great deal of trouble (and luck). Must have something to do with the nature of Kodachrome, which has, I believe, several layers of light-sensitive materials and is in fact a black-and-white process with the color added during processing, if memory serves (and these days, it increaslingly doesn't). Anyway, the original is still vibrant and is a testimony to the quality of the old Vivitars.

> I'd say the Tamron SP70-210 f3.5 is the one to go for. It's a very good and sharp lens. I wouldn't give mine up.

Back