DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss 21mm madness at Ffordes

Hello Wang, I am new to the post, and a frequent buyer of Hassy Zeiss lenses. I do = not buy C lenses T or no T for the following reason. In Wildi's The = Hasselblad Manual (6th ed.) on pg. 73 he says "The C lenses were = discontinued in 1981. Although such lenses can still be cleaned and = lubricated, many spare parts are no longer available, and more extensive = service is therefore no longer possible." If I plan to use the lens a = lot I spring for the CF (which are all T). I might buy a 40mm CT if = it's a real steal, but I agree with your other answer; multicoating T or = otherwise is a genuine innovation which makes a REAL difference for the = better (check what Ansel Adams says about it in his Basic Photo Series). = Anybody who tells you non T lenses are "better" is just trying to sell = you what he/she has, rather than what they wish they had. Be well dbrender

Should we address you as Wang or Joseph or Chi ? What is your wish?

Zeiss has a long history of producing the optics for Hasselblad. Earlier lenses had a single coating, the T* indicates multi-coating. Those more familiar with the subtleties of Zeiss improvements can better speak to that. But there are other considerations. However, as with filters, in practical use reduced flare leads to improved image.

C, CF, CFi, CFE each indicated improvements in the functionality and durability of the lens.
Some wide angle lenses were improved with the addition of a floating element.

CFi lenses improved the interior barrel baffling against stray light, added a rubberized shade mount, improved the durability of certain internal parts, and importantly improved the sync
port which was more prone to breaking on the earlier models.

CFE lenses include the above improvements and introduced Data Bus connections to allow lens communication with 200 series cameras. Today, those Data Bus connections also allow ease of use of the CFE lenses on the H cameras via the CFV adapter.

Currently, CFi and CFE lenses are holding their value on the used market compared to earlier lenses.

Hi, This 'shopkeeper' seems to be talking nonsense...less flare more contrast. I would suggest a great many shopkeepers talk rubbish and just try to sell whatever they have and use many underhand means to do so...I should know, I worked in retail for years, to my eternal shame...believe me, shop owners tell downright LIES every day just to sell items. Cheers Steve.

Thanks for these important lenses information as I am about to buy some of them.

Although you might say the shopkeeper seemed to talk nonsense, I do wonder if it is true or not. As you know, the coating of Leica lenses including the modern ones are less good in keeping the flare away, but they are more contrasty than Zeiss lenses. On the other hand, Zeiss T* lenses are very resistant to flare, but they are in general less contrasty than Leica lenses. So it seems that the resistivity to flare and the ability to keep the contrast are two distinct properties.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to buy both T* and non T* and test them.

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Perhaps the best thing to do is forget about facts and figures and just go out and use what you have. You do seem slightly obsessed
wink.gif

Paul

Hi Matt,

This is a bit late but just to say I love the Penberth shot. I thought I recognised the place, just past the telephone exchange if I'm right. When I went there, there were otters coming in from the sea and going up and down the stream. The kids loved it as much as I did. You probably have a good collection of Cornish coastal shots, maybe one of Sennan Cove when the big waves are coming in?
Regards,

Paul

Dear Joeseph, The answer to your question is in Ansel Adam's book The Camera. He = argues that multicoating reduces flare which increases contrast. It = goes like this. Every air to glass surface in a lens reflects a certain = amount of light. This reflected light scatters inside the lens and = causes flare which erodes the picture quality, both in contrast and, if = it gets bad enough, a kind of smearing of detail. A light source inside = the image area or slightly outside of it creates the dramatic flare you = see with multiple octagons as the aperature blades reflect on the lens = elements and all the groovy colors, etc. Overall or less dramatic flare = that comes from snow, sand, or just the reflective properties of the = lens elements reduces the contrast overall but may not be noticeable = through the viewfinder or in the print unless you compare them to ones = with a better lens. =20 If I were to make a list of real improvements in lens design, = multicoating is a difference that really makes a difference. And since = the multi in multicoating means that it corrects for all wavelengths of = light and single coating only corrects for some wavelengths, I think = that Leica optics must be multicoated-- I would be very surprised if = they weren't. They call it thin layer coating, but I'd be shocked if = they stayed with the single layer coating of yesteryear. Don't listen = to salesmen, Ansel Adams has nothing to sell you. If I had a nickel for = all the trash talked by camera salesmen, I'd own Zeiss. A salesman just = told me that the Canon 20D was better for wildlife than the 5D since the = image was biggeer. Caveat Emptor. Cheers, dbrender =20 An overall flare reduces the contrast of the image. =

Paul, I certainly don't mind being obsessed, in particular with image quality. I am certainly obsessed with many other things, and some of them do generate large revenue.

The madness of 21 2.8 goes on in ebay. Last auction for C-Y 21 2.8 was USD 3.6 k, enough for me to get a Hasselblad SWC in mint condition. I got my one for only 2.5k.

It is tempting to sell my last C-Y 21 2.8. After all I have Zeiss Ikon 21 2.8, I won a Hassy SWC and it is on its way to reach me. What is the point of keeping the C-Y 21 2.8 ? It would be great to sell it and make a profit of over 2 grands, as I got it 3 years ago for USD800.

C-Y 21 is unique in some ways. It is the only 90 degree lens with 22cm minimal focusing distance. The one in the Hasselblad H system HC35/3.5 can only go down to 0.5m. Hassy SWC can go down to 0.3 m, but it is not an SLR so you have to rely on the accessory viewfinder. CFE 4/40 can only do 0.5m. All the relevant lenses in the Hassy system would be able to beat this small lens.

It is also a lens which can bring back memories.

I am keeping the lens and throw away grands of dollars.

Back