DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Wasatch Foothills

toisondor

This was a week or two ago. A sunny day, still waiting for Spring to show up.
SD14 18-50mm @50mm F9 1/500 ISO 100

Jesse

Attachments

• WasatchFoothills1.jpg
    EXIF
    WasatchFoothills1.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 17
Excellent pic Jesse,
The color contrast is great, and it looks like fresh springtime snow that fell.
I think the contrast would make it a great BW pic too, with the clouds in the back.
I like the little bush on the top of the ridge with the cloud for a background.
Thanks for sharing.

Jesse that is a perfect exposure!!! Is that the EX version of this 18-50 lens?

Do you think you will do a BW version??

thank you for sharing this wonderful landscape.

Robert

Black and white version

Thanks for your comments and encouragement. Yes, this is the 18-50mm EX Macro. I've been quite happy with it so far.

So, here's my attempt at converting the scene to BW. I really have almost no experience in this, so I feel quite vulnerable here. Still, I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I used a Channel Mixer adjustment layer in PS to make the change. I didn't think to record the RGB percentages. That lone tree becomes even more significant here.

Jesse

Attachments

• WasatchFoothillsBW.jpg
    EXIF
    WasatchFoothillsBW.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 10
Looks good...but why not just use the Sigma software and adjust the saturation all the way to the left...and see if you like it...

Again...very nice shot..

Tony C.

Jesse,

I hope you don't mind...I played with it a little...it will look a 100x better from your original file...but I would do the work in the sigma software then touch-it-up in PS...

View attachment 1465

Again, I love this shot...and your right the tree does stand out more...

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Attachments

• WasatchFoothills1.jpg
    EXIF
    WasatchFoothills1.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 10
The pic is great in color and BW. I do like the austere feeling of the BW though and the lone tree standing out.
I do all my image manipulation in SPP. For BW I boost the contrast and move saturation all the way to the left or to about 1.8~1.9. I also mess with the color wheel, usually moving it heavy to red or yellow.
The skies are darker in the PS version. It looks more "IR".
But from either BW the pic works great.
Great work and thanks for sharing.

Back