DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

R8 Postrepair adviceexperiences requested

mwagner23

I have a relatively early R8 Serial Number Body: 242xxxx.

Unfortunately, I experienced the same problems with my body that have been documented by other R8 owners...after the R8 winder was mounted on my camera, I began having intermittent meter/electronics problems--the winder would from time to time fire multiple frames, the meter would shut off or lock up, the display on the back would shut down, and the camera would switch to ISO mode from DX and set a random value.

This was apparently determined to be a problem with earlier serial number bodies (pre 247xxxx) where the winder contacts didn't properly mate and caused static electrical pulses that damaged the camera's meter and internal circuits.

I have just received my body back from LEICA service in New Jersey. While the repair was covered at no cost by warranty, I have receieved no documentation at all from the factory other than a cryptic entry on the packing slip. Apparently the meter was 'repaired' and the body was cleaned and lubed.

Has anyone else who experienced this problem been able to use the winder again? My concern is that the winder will again scramble the electronics if I mount it again.

I can use the camera sans winder, but I really preferred the convenience and operation of the camera-winder combination, as well as the balance it provides for bigger heavier lenses.

Any experience or advice would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Mike Wagner

Hi Mike: I had the identical problem some time back. The camera came back from Leica repair in better then new condition in that the camera was brought up to "present standards" electronically, and I have had no problems at all ( using the winder ) since. I sent the winder along just to be sure...I imagine Leica repair checked the camera with and without the winder, but I cannot be sure. At any rate, no charge from Leica even though the camera was several years old. Evidentally there have been, as you stated, on going problems with the early R8 cameras. To their credit, Leica has brought all of the older faulty R8 cameras that they receive back for service up to the present standards...usually without cost. One must give credit to the company for standing by their product. Mount the winder, and use it.

I recently purchased a demo model and the serial # is 243xxxx. Should I go ahead and send this in to have the potential winder problem fixed. I plan on purchasing a winder in the near future. If so, do I send it back to Germany or is there a place in the US that does the upgrade.

Keith, What makes you think you have a winder problem before you try the camera with a winder?
Happy Snaps, Sal
lol.gif

Keith,

I suspect there is (like a lot of things) some good news, and some bad news. Since your number is relatively low, it is likely that your R8 will suffer the winder/electronics problem that has been common with others of us who have cameras in this production range.

The good news is, it seems that once repaired, the problem is gone. I can't speak yet from personal experience, because I have not yet used the winder since mine was repaired by Leica...however, others who have had the repair performed have had no further problem.

Unfortunately, until your particular R8 is used with a winder, there is no way to know for sure the problem will arise, and until it does, there is nothing for Leica to fix.

I would suggest that you contact Dave at Leica NJ. He works at the repair department for Leica USA, and is quite helpful. He could probably give you the best idea what you might expect, and how best to tackle it.

Best of luck--the R8 is a wonderful little machine!

Regards,

Mike Wagner

PS: If I have anything to report later, regarding my R8 and winder, I'll post it.

Well Sal, I would suspect that since this model bares the serial number under 247XXXX it would be prone to this problem. I'd hate to be in the middle of one of my weddings when Bang, the thing goes haywire. Just being proactive!

Thanks for the info Mike. I'll give Dave a call first thing Monday. At least my first wedding job isn't until mid May. I don't know about other guys but I'm always trying to plan for any possible problem where I can make the adjustments on the fly so no one knows anything went wrong. Maybe I'm just a worry wart but I believe it's better to be safe than sorry.

Keith

Keith, Well, one of my R8s is numbered 2297xxx and hasn't given me any winder problems or trouble. What is the source for your serial number information, the internet? Your desire to be safe than sorry is understandable. If the camera is a Leica USA demo, it should have already gone through the repair shop before it was release for sale. Happy Snaps, Sal

My R8 had a lock up of mirror problem that was intermitent and was not part of a winder problem. This is an early number (1998) but after sending to New Jersey the problem was solved and has not returned.

Remember too that the from the R8 onwards the SN is no longer a reliable indication of the date the camera rolled off the production line.

Craig

All,

For those who wonder where the notion may have come from regarding R8 problems and Serial Numbers, here are a couple of sources:

At www.photo.net there is a Leica Forum. One of the threads discusses 'R8' Bugs--problems that some R8 owners have come across.

The most helpful information I have found is at:

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/005c.shtml

Regards,

Mike Wagner

Back