DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

help with ef500 dg st flashgun

grantsonuk

Hi guys

I have just acquired a canon 500d
I need to somehow fool the camera into thinking there is a ttl flashgun attached

I have a 500 dg st flashgun with a broken head
I was wondering if there is any way of using its remains and installing a pc socket, hotshoe or wireless transmitter so that i can attach a studio flash head

thanks

Grant

Grant...

I think it might be easy to replace the foot yourself....First I would contact....
C.R.I.S.
250 N. 54th Street
Chandler, AZ 85226
e-mail: sigma@criscam.com
Tel: 480 940-1103

And ask them to identify the part and the cost...

If not you might pick-up a replacement...might be cheaper...eBay 500 EL ST...$50USD...eBay 500 DG Super...$100USD...eBay 530 DG Super...$120USD...

Personally I would pick-up the DG Super's because they can be fired as optical slaves....

I found these pictures on the internet showing the inside of a DG Super and DG ST....I would think the inside were the same...just the circuit boards that run the flash are different...I could be wrong though...

DG Super
View attachment 2067

View attachment 2068

DG ST
View attachment 2069

View attachment 2070

View attachment 2071

Hope this helps a little....Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    EXIF
    images-1.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 34
  • images.jpeg
    EXIF
    images.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 33
  • imgp4131.jpg
    EXIF
    imgp4131.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 5
  • imgp4132.jpg
    EXIF
    imgp4132.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 5
  • imgp4129.jpg
    EXIF
    imgp4129.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi Tony

Thanks, but not what i was after

I have replaced the foot many times and yes they are interchangable between the st & the super,

the problem I have is that my canon 500d will only fire a ttl flashgun and not the wireless trigger for my studio flash which has only the main center pin

I was looking to use the remains of my broken st to 1st fool the 500d into thinking there is a flashgun ontop of it, then having a pc socket, or the main board from the wireless transmitter attached to the fire circuit from the st to then trigger the studio flash

Attachments

• ct-04-02.JPG
    EXIF
    ct-04-02.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 5
  • ct-04-05.JPG
    EXIF
    ct-04-05.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 3
  • ct-04-08.JPG
    EXIF
    ct-04-08.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 2
Grant...I guess I was a little loopy this weekend...sorry for posting stuff that does not help you...:z04_smileys26:

You may need to play with the settings in the camera...what mode are you trying to shoot in...??

Like I stated..I have two different sets of the transmitters and have never had an issue with them..Now I did some looking...if you placed a higher voltage flash on-top of your 500D...you might have burned out the circuits for firing the flash...you can also try to use a multi-meter to see if you are getting any voltage from that center pin...

Again...I don't know what I was smoking when I answered you the second time...:crazy:

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

lol
thanks tony

the problem is that when in live view the 500d is in "silent shooting" mode and unlike the 50d silent shooting cant be turned off

so the camera will fire a speedlite or compatible flashgun but when using a wireless trigger wich has only the centre pin the camera does not move the shutter to start the exposure so there is no fire signal on the centre pin

hence why i was wondering if i can use my 500 st with the broken head, remove the upper part and add in a pc socket across the centre pin basically converting the st into an ettl aware hotshoe to PC sync adapter

Ok...I see...

What you may want to do...

Quatum makes one called the FreeWire...and PocketWizard Flex TT5

This is the thing...Pocketwizards are used in most places...so might be advantagous to go ahead and pick them up...but you pay $200USD+

Another and cheaper route may be to use a Cannon TTL flash cord...and mod the cord to fire the wireless transmitter...

I hope this finally helps...

Tony C....:z04_cowboy:

Back