CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Comments on 3 lenses

king

Hi there,

Would like to add a lens for my Aria. Your experience and opinions on the following would be helpful.

50mm f1.4
50mm f1.7
35-70mm

Yep, I know its two primes against a zoom, but I am interested in performance and overall quality for street use.

Thanks,

Jim

blumesan

Hi Jim,
They are all fine lenses. It would be easier to suggest which you should add to your collection if one knew what you already own.

Regards,
Mike.

king

> Mike,

Thanks for the reply, I have an odd collection at this point as a 135 and 25 were gifted to me.

Jim

deshojo

Hi James,

The 50mm f1.7 is a stunning performer.
It produces some of the sharpest photographs I have ever seen on 35mm.
It is also small and light (and cheap!) and I would highly recommend it.

I believe the 50mm f1.4 is not quite as sharp, but very close. Obviously it will be heavier.

Cheers,
Matt

V

vdipiet

James, I have the 50 1.4 ae and the 50 1.7 mm. Both are splended lenses and to tell the truth I can't distinguish which lens is sharper. The 50 1.7 is smaller than the 50 1.4 but not by that much. I have never used the 35-70 but from all that I have heard, it too is quite fine. For street photography nothing beats the Aria and the 50 1.7mm unless it's the 35 2.8mm. For street (which is what I mainly do) I use the 50 1.4 or 1.7, the tessar pancake 45 2.8 (really small and the 35 2.8 (a very sharp lens that I have even used for street portraits without distortion). So go to it and have a great time.