DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

White balance effects RAW files

The green cast picture

Taz,

Would you still have the RAW file for the photo with the green cast? If yes, could you make it available for download?

There is something I would like to test with SPP 4. Otherwise, I will wait to get one myself.

Thanks
Jeff

No more red cast

Since this post from Taz, I have started to do custom white balancing before shooting. Previously, I was having a lot of trouble with red cast in the shades on high dynamic photos with my SD14.

With custom white balancing, the problem is not totally gone, but so far, it is much, much better! Since I do custom white balancing with a piece of tissue, maybe this explains the remaining red cast in the shadows.

I'm planning to buy a white balancing lens to see if I can get rid of this annoying red cast. Any suggestion on brands? Or another tool? Thanks.

Jeff

non-continuus color spectrum

Gas discharge lights have a non continuus color spectrum meaning that the
color uniformity is constantly changing emitting more or less green in an instant. Thats why even a custom WB might produce no even balanced pictures among a series under gas discharge light units (e.g.street lights at night)
I use white balance tools like the SPYDERCUBE which helps in several ways:
you get a medium gray 18% (as a reference)
you get a highlight part to measure (brightest parts that still hold details)
you get a lowlight part to measure (darkest parts that still hold details)
you get an absolute dark point (as a reference)
...and you can judge the light units from the chrome ball on top of the cube

just my 2cents...

Back