CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Comparing offbrand close up filters

A

akjerstad

I can't afford the Canon close-up filter set, is there a difference between Hoya, Kenko, or Tiffen? Can somone recommend something?
Thanks,
Ann

I use the Nikon 3T (52 mm) and 5T (62 mm) with very good results. I think they are a bit less expensive than the Canon and of equal quality. The good ones are all 2 element achromatic and multi-coated. I don't think the ones you mention are 2 element, but it's a question you need to ask.

The Nikon 3T and 5T are 1.5 diopters strength and the 4T and 6T are 3 diopter. The Canon 500D is 2 diopter, and the 250D is 4 diopter. 4 diopter is pretty strong and not much use unless you're into ant photography. Short depth of field, you need a tripod, short working distances. I use the 5T with a Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II and a Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 1:2 macro. With the Tamron and the 5T, I can get 1:1 on my Elan 7N at reasonable working distances.

Jerry