DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New soontobe Rolleicord Vb owner

alexz

Just posted a message here, it didn't appear for soem weird reason...trying again.

Hi.
I'm soon-to-be new Rolleicord Vb owner (won and auction on Ebay, shoudl be expecting the camera withint two weeks). I'm a new to Rollei cameras and compolete novice to Medium format at all, so once will get the camera most certainly a quesiotns will be raised here... :).

So far, have following issue I would be happy to be clarified by more experienced users here:

Flash utilization (few assumptions of mine, please correct me if I'm wrong):
The camera has X-sync terminal for electronic flash sunchronization. Since theer is a leaf shutter, synchronization is possible at all speeds up to 1/500, however obviously we do not talk about any modern automations such as TTL and its breeds. The flash can only be used in manual mode, i.e. apparently by setting effective aperture on the unit per each particular shoot, am I wrong ?

I have little concern about studio lighting setting, but rather interested in a portable flash unit for fill-in for environmental potraiture (perhaps kind of my current Canon 550EX or probably a legacy Vivitar 253 hummer type ?).
The question: which flash and cable do I need ?

Thanks in advance, Alex

Alex
I got a KAISER hot shoe with a cable to attach on the cameras flash socket . The only active part in the hot shoe is the center making my canon 540 EZ or 430 EZ flash go of - the flash has full manual mode from1/1 to 1/128 burst - this and your guidenumber and you should be up and running . It works on both hasselblad and rollei

this link takes you to a rollei manual but it is not for the rolleicord http://www.dmakos.com/square/manual/rolleitlr/index.html, this is about rollei flash http://www.rolleiclub.com/rollei/flash/index.htm
If you do not have a manual there will probably soon be one available here on rolleiinfo.com

Ruben

Thanks Ruben a lot.
Where did you get these hot shoe and cable from ?
B&H or something like that ?

I indeed do not have the manual, searched the web for one -unsuccessfully. I'll be happy to figure it here on rolleiinfo.com

Best regards, Alex

The kaiser hot shoe I got from my local photo dealer in Copenhagen/Denmark - I think Kaiser a German company that markets products made in the far east mostly for the amateur market - it was about 10 usd - I think this list is run from Germany so there will probably be someone that knows more on Kaiser products and were to find them

Thanks.
Any chances you know any other suitable hot-shoe adapters with cable to fit the setup ? (Perhaps of more common manufacturer ?)

Thanks Ruben, appreciate your help.
BTW, wasn't you afraid of connecting your Canon flashes to that Rollei at the beginning ?
Somehow I would be suspecting it may fry the flash out.
I wonder how the camera triggers the flash - it cannot be done electrically, the camera has no any electrical provision for that), so how its X-sync terminal triggers modern electronic flash ?

Regards, Alex

canon does not provide a warranty if you break your flash by connecting it to non canon equipment (so if you do, dont tell canon) well anyway I think what happens is that the rollei as well as other manual cameras makes a short circuit in the PC jack and that triggeres the flash - only using the center contact and souruonding area like on the "HAMA PC to Hot Shoe Permits a flash unit with a hot shoe contact to be mounted on a camera without a hot shoe contact." from the above link.- All the other contacts on the canon flash are used for electronic communication between eos camera and dedicated flash functions
If you ar afraid of ruining you canon flash any other cheap flash will work just as good since it only opperates in manual mode with the rollei not using any of the advanced features on the canon flash - I look foreward to see some images from you in the gallery - btw are you keeping your canon and do you post canon shots on canoninfo.com? I see you are from Israel - Love to se images from there - most coverage now a days are of the fence and barb wire - one tends to forget that its about a lot of ordinary people on both sides trying to live their lifes and a few that is trying to f... things up

By the way for canon flash photography look at this:http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

regards
Ruben

Alex, the camera does trigger the flash electrically.

In a camera without batteries, all the power is in the flash unit. The camera just acts as a switch.

The flash loads up a capacitor with electricity from its batteries (or other power source), and then provides a current to the camera which will fire the capacitor, when the camera lets it through.

The camera's synch switch is in the shutter, and is wired to the hot-shoe or plug flash contact. When the shutter fires, the switch closes, and the trigger electricity can get through to dump the capacitor's load into the flash bulb or tube.

With x-synch (electronic flash), everything happens essentially "at once", with no delays. With m-synch (bulb flash), the flash actually fires before the shutter opens, so that the flash bulb has time to get up to full burn before the exposure takes place.

Regards,
Leigh

Thanks Ruben, Leigh, your help is greatly appreciated.
Ruben, since you mentioned willing to see my stuff, would be my pleasure to invote all you guys to my personal site:
www.zabrovsky.com

You'll find there the galleries and some stuff about me.
Ruben, of course I'll be keeping my Canon :), just recently has been biten by MF bug, so ventured into TLRs to keep costs low at the beginning, but certainly not to replace my 35mm gear: EOS-3, 28-70L, 70-200L 550EX and lots of accessories.
I do not participate canoninfo.com, instead I do in Fred Miranda (www.fredmiranda.com - wonderfully informative site hosting lots of very helpful forums, including Canon EOS of course), EOS Mailing list and ocassionally apear in Rob Galbraith bords.
Given the camera will arrive in good order, I'll have to learn to sue it and my main concern is what to do with the originals (I used to scan everythign I shoot - have Nikon LS-40 for that, but no provision for MF), neither I have MF projector. I guess I'll have to see whether I'll be triggered by MF, and if that will happen - will probably have to figure a solution for scanning (either a good flatbed or probably even something like Nikon LS-8000/9000, but apparently in far future).

Yeah Ruben, things can be quite hot over here in my country, but mostly greatly overdone by TV.
The regular life is going on...as you correcty assumed.

As for Canon falsh photography - thanks for the link, though I'm aware about it and learnt the ETTL through it a while ago :). This link also appears in my selected links list on my site among some others...

BTW, I'll be happy to correspond with any of you guy to my email:
alex@zabrovsky.com

Regards, Alex

Back