DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax II

Michael - slightly off topic question. But did you mention once that you use a Weston 5 regularly? If so, do you have any difficulty with it in non-bright light? Like indoors, or morning and twighlight hours? I'm thinking about a Weston IV but have never tried one. A friend says they can't be "trusted" in dim light. I'd rather hear from someone like you who uses one. Thanks! -Lynn

I use a Weston V as a back-up but find I use it much of the time. Sensitive enough to use 400 ASA film indoors. Have a Weston IV also - seems just as sensitive but don't like the fact that the film speed setting doesn't lock as in the Weston V. I cut my teeth on a Weston II so I am prejudiced in favor of the Weston meter - if it is functioning up to spec you wont be disappointed.

Michael

Hi Lynn John Bird here used weston master 4 & 5's your friend is correct being selenium not very sensitive would also think this would be true for the Euro master. about the best meter I used from this period was the Gossen Luna six.
By John

I too cut my teeth on very early Weston and GE meters and did great work using them in the ancient non metered camera days. It's true that the selenium cell would loose it's reliability over many years and had problems in low light. However being familiar with them took care of those problems. It's important to use a gray card with these style of meters as you can affect the readings with spectral reflections or high contrast subjects. Like any tool, you gotta be familiar with it to get the most out of it. Have fun, take

I'm using a Weston IV for sometime now and find it quite reliable. I've even sought out a invercone to use it as an incident meter. Though I remember reading it is supposed to be sensitive down to 2 or 3 EV, I find it more like 5 or 6 EV. I've also gotten used to the "mental compensation" to adjust for low lighting. This is not a Lunar type of meter but just a dependably rugged batteryless one. >

I would like to reiterate that to me, it seems the key to happiness here is use of the gray card, rather than the specific brand of meter. You can compare the readings you get with another meter that you know to be reliable (also metering off the gray card), and adjust accordingly if it's necessary. Don't forget that your own intelligence is the most important factor to getting reliable exposures. This last step is often overlooked nowadays.

Paul Butler

Thanks Michael, John, Phil, Gary and Paul. It helps very much to hear your experiences with the Weston. Funny you mention a Lunasix John - I was just given a Lunasix 3 with fresh batteries, but sadly this particular one has readings that are extremely wild. Sometimes they are on, but more often they range 2-stops from accurate. Seems like it would have been a very handy meter otherwise. There is always something that needs replacing isn't there? Sorry to stray the list off topic. Thanks again everyone. -Lynn

Lynn

I really like my Lunasix, but it is 40+ years old and the needle hangs up at times also. A year or so ago I spoke to at tech at Gossen. He told me that the only thing necessary to repair those meters is cleaning, but they no longer provide that service on the gray cased units. Today, I checked their website and found the following recommended repair facilities.

Alfons Bischof
Phone: +49 (911) 86 02 172
Fax: +49 (911) 86 02 142
alfons.bischof@gossen-photo.de

Stephan Frahnert
Phone: +49 (911) 86 02 170
Fax: +49 (911) 86 02 142
stephan.frahnert@gossen-photo.de

Gilbert

Just wanted to follow up on the meter repair / cleaning issue. I got a reply from Gossen (which seems to have been forwarded to Bogen in New Jersey!). Sadly, this is beyond the amount I feel appropriate to spend on this old meter. I might just buy a simple little sekonic twinmaster for $89, or a gossen digisix for $109 as a simple tiny little accurate meter to carry in my pocket. -Lynn

(quoting the repair email from gossen - bogen )

The standard repair cost for your meter is $ 61.50 plus S/H & batteries if needed. Send to; Bogen Photo Corp. 565 E.Crescent Ave. Ramsey, NJ 07446 We will send a complete estimate of the charges, there is no charge for the estimate.

Back